pages

search the rooster

Monday, January 07, 2019

holy hawk!

So, just about to leave for the dentist today with the boy and I look out the back window. What do we see? A flippin' hawk!

taken through a window, i stink at live photography

Totally incredible. He was sitting on the barbecue just looking around. Obviously hunting. He then scooted in to the trees and looked around some more and then headed out.

Pretty sure it was a juvenile Cooper's Hawk. I could be wrong as I am no expert. I used Cornell University's Merlin app on my phone to identify it. It offered the Cooper's Hawk, the Sharp-Shinned Hawk, and the Northern Goshawk.

Pretty sure it was not the Goshawk. The boy and I figured it was the Cooper's. I also think it was a female. Again, I am no expert. If anyone can confirm what it is, that would be great.

turning around to check us out?

I was just so excited to see this magnificent creature. I do know it was hunting and taking advantage of the feeders I put out that attract other birds. Yet, I do also know that it is part of the cycle of nature. It is what it is.

starting to look back around for a snack?


blbbl

1 comment:

  1. Very cool! We saw 25 hawks along the 401 driving back from Sarnia last week!

    ReplyDelete