pages

search the rooster

Thursday, February 09, 2017

where did all this hair come from?

So, when I was a young lad, I was very fair haired. Practically platinum blond. I also was not a hairy child. I did not really start shaving until well after my sixteenth birthday and not even every day and only really because of the Army. I could usually go three-four days before needing a shave. Except, of course, when I was in the Army. Shave everyday or go on report for the least bit of fuzz.

Every now and again, I would want to grow a goatee. (Which had Celtic-type red highlights. Cool!) It took forever. I was one of those guys that just was not hairy. No chest hair, no unibrow (for the most part), no hairy knuckles. It also helped that I was very fair-haired, but as with most people with blond hair, it darkens over time. 

As my hair darkened, it became more visible. I went from near platinum, to golden, to dirty, to a dark blond I call sandy. Perhaps even hazel-blond, if you can use that for hair colour. Not, of course, that I am vain. I just cling to the thought that I am still blond. (I am dagnab!)

As I matured, I needed to shave more often, every second day. Now, I need to shave most every day. Depends on my routine I guess, I usually shower in the afternoon or evenings. But halfway through the second day, I need to shave.

By the time I hit my thirties, I sprouted chest hair. Not a fan. My legs got fairly fuzzy. More and more body hair over the years. And now, in addition to shaving more often, I need to shave my head weekly; to maintain that clean look that garners exceptional service in stores.

In the last couple of years it has become a challenge to keep the jungle out of my nostrils. The wife actually bought me a nose hair trimmer as she could not bare to see me working away at it with tweezers.

Now, my ears have gotten into the act. At least I do not have full blown hedges growing inside my ear canal as I recently saw in an ad on YouTube. Just some bitty hairs on my lobes, but if you ignore them, those few hairs will suddenly be sticking straight out. Again, not really noticeable and the nose hair trimmer does lobes too! Still though. Where is all this hair coming from?!?

I suppose I should be grateful that I do not have any hair on my back nor do I have hairy knuckles. Then again, I am not that old. Or maybe I am. I am now starting to see white, not grey, white hair in my brows, chin stubble (bye-bye Ginger), and the short-short hair on my head. Maybe that is a good thing. As it whitens, it lightens, and will be less visible. Maybe I will return to my former flaxen and svelte disposition. (Yeah, right!)

But. it is true. We, like life, are a circle. Thank-you Brad Goodman and Troy McClure.

perhaps i have been hairy my whole life, or maybe not. darned circle of life (courtesy deadhomersociety.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment