pages

search the rooster

Saturday, January 14, 2017

bookstores- mm books, kemptville

I love books and bookstores, especially used bookstores and their proprietors. One such place I recently discovered was MM Books in Kemptville, Ontario. Also known as M&M Books by Google.

mm books, kemptville, ontario

I found out about this terrific bookstore just before Christmas when I was at a marvellous bakery in Kemptville, The Crusty Bakers. The bakery has a small table with some of MM Books' books on display and available for purchase. Well, when I saw a particular book upon walking in I was stunned to see it and immediately picked it up. 

It was like a dream. The book is part of a series of four books produced by the then National Museum of Natural Sciences, now known as the Canadian Museum of Nature. It was in near new condition and very reasonably priced. I originally learnt about these books from a bibliography in a foraging book and found three of them at the Ottawa Public Library. Alas, one has been pulled from circulation due to wear and tear. The fourth, I have never seen except in a few online references.

the book that started it all

Anyway, after enquiring about the source of the book, and of course, purchasing several tasty bread products and sweet treats, I headed to the bookstore. It did not open until noon and I was quite early. So, after loitering and such, I eventually returned home.

I was so excited, I think the wife thought I may have struck my head on one of the few things harder than my skull. Well, I jumped online looking for a phone number, nothing. A scant few references from business referral websites and one from Google. I called the bakery and asked them for the number. Well, the lad on the phone was amused. He informed me that there is currently no known number for MM Books and he had asked the proprietor why. The response was that if he had a phone in the bookshop, someone may call him. That was it, I was totally taken with the place and I had not even set foot in the door yet.

(I have since found a possible phone number, but out of respect, will not call it or share it.)

I could not get back to the store until the following week. I brought the original purchase with me and visited the shop. I met Merv, the proprietor, and introduced myself. I then showed him my purchase and asked if he had any others from the series. He believed he did, but not at the store. My immediate response, "I must have it!". He said he would bring it in the next day. So, I perused and bought some very interesting books at very reasonable prices. 

When I returned subsequently, he had the tome I was seeking and I was jubilant. It too, was in near new condition. He unfortunately does not have the other volumes, which is a shame, but I am ever hopeful. I continued to peruse the books and purchased several more and returned home in a jolly mood.

another volume in the 4 book series

As of yesterday, I have completed a hat-trick of visits and will try to visit weekly as I do not find myself in Kemptville as often as I used to. A little about MM and Merv. The store is near on over-full with books (that is why I see it as my duty to help thin the ranks for Merv), there are more books than shelves will allow. However, not in a poor way. It is still quite easy to browse through the books and Merv is ever helpful. There is a great and varied assortment of topics and genres, both fiction and non-fiction.

books I have purchased from Merv and mm books

Now, Merv himself, is quite something as well. He is a mature gentleman.  Obviously of British origins and full of even more character than the store itself. He is quite verbose and speaks freely of his past, he has served in both the UK and Canadian militaries and is well travelled. It does not take him long to determine the type of books your are looking for and while carrying on his conversation is extracting books from various stacks and shelves to present for your review.

another angle of the shop

I do not know how long MM Books has been in business, but it looks as though they have been in operation since at least 2008. I do not know how I did not discover it sooner, but I am glad at least I did and have met Merv. Perhaps, in the non-winter, I will visit by bicycle, if I can get mine working safely once again. Visit though I will and regularly. I obviously have some catching up to do with this hidden gem. blbbl

1 comment:

  1. I knew Mervyn in the 1970's - we worked at the same software house - Centre-file, in London. We also both lived in Bromley, Kent, a suburb of London. I recall many late evening train trips from London to Bromley with Merv, after supping a few post work pints !

    Can't find him on Facebook, doesn't seem to have a website, and as you say, he doesn't like the phone !

    I would like to renew contact, so could you kindly pass on my email to Merv B-S ?

    It is tradecomms@gmail.com.

    Many thanks,

    David Evans

    ReplyDelete