pages

search the rooster

Friday, January 27, 2017

bookstores - chapters, online

I bought a couple of books online through Chapters-Indigo. One of the books was Lord of the Flies. I, of course, checked with MM Books in Kemptville, but Merv advised me that he never sees more than a couple of copies a year and they do not stay on the shelf for long.

I purchased two books to get free shipping and as I have over one-hundred books on my Chapters wish list, not too hard to pick another book. So, I picked one that I wanted and also helped me meet the minimum threshold for free shipping. There was no problem with the shipping of the books. They arrived well before the expected delivery date. The second book that put me over the top for shipping was of high quality, especially for a paperback.

The issue resides with Lord of the Flies. I bought a hardcover assuming it meant quality. Well, I intended to contact Chapters Customer Service about it. However, in the meantime, I submitted a review on Chapters' website to express my displeasure over this particular book.














my review of the book

The review does not address the literature, but the quality of this particular impression. The book I purchased was not the book I thought I was purchasing.














image and pricing of the advertised book

further details of said book

So, my review is pretty clear that the book I received does not match the book advertised and that I find both Penguin, for the quality, and Chapters, for not providing the product as described, wanting in the matter.

the book I received

what the book looks like inside

I, of course, did not stop there. I intended to call Chapters and express my dissatisfaction and I had not decided if I was going to return the book yet or not. I wanted to see what Chapters was going to do about it. So, a few days later, I called. While I was getting the number for Customer Service from the website, I wanted to also pull up my review to quote from it. Well, I could not find my review! What? I checked by date. Nothing!! Whaat?? I checked by star rating. Nothing!!! Whaaat??? I checked all the reviews. Nothing!!!! Whaaaat????

Well, I was primed. I called. I got a nice polite person. I was firm. I was stern. I repeated what was in my review, as I had kept a copy of it on my computer. I expressed my dissatisfaction with the quality of the book and the deception in presentation.  I expressed my dissatisfaction about my review being pulled. I explained that that is not how a reputable company operates. That a reputable company takes the good with the bad. 

The Agent asked if I was sure I submitted the review. I assured her I did. I told her that I have only done one review on Chapters' website and there is a record of one review as it shows up in my Plum Rewards stream as one gets ten whole Plum Reward points for reviewing a book. (You need 2,500 points just to get a discount of $5.00.) So, I know it went through. I also saw it after I posted it. 

I surmised that it was pulled because someone at Chapters did not like a negative review about their business. I also explained that there are many places in the interweb world where one can submit and display reviews about dissatisfaction or any other negative results. (This can also be done for satisfaction and positive results, but my experience is that this is less so.) I advised the Agent that I would definitely perform such an action if my review were not reinstated. She advised me that it would be very unusual for it to be pulled. She did search for it, but could not find it. She told me she would find out what happened. Honestly, I was not going to hold my breath.

In addition, she offered to credit me $10.00 for the book if I still wanted to keep it. I decided that a poor quality hardcover for the time being would be better than no hardcover. I took the credit to my account. So, after the credit, but including the original taxes on the book, the book cost me $10.50 and I did not get a cookie. Well, sometimes you have to compromise. 

I did thank the Agent and told her that I was not upset with her. Having done Customer Service myself, I feel it is important to tell the person on the other line that it is their company, not them, that is the source of anguish. Unless, of course, the person on the other end is dicking you around, well then, I let them know that too (but that is another story for another time). However, that was not the case this time, the Agent was very helpful and sympathetic.

The bonus, I got an email yesterday afternoon advising me my review would be shortly reinstated. What a pleasant surprise. This agent is worth her salt, that is for sure.

the email telling me my review was reinstated

Well, sorting through the rapidity that the email was typed with, I determined the official reason from Chapters was that it was a Moderator error as to why my review was pulled. Pretty vague, but error is admitted. Darn tootin'! Anyway, I will take it. I will follow up and comment to my own review that they fixed my issue to reasonable satisfaction. I will keep an eye on the review though, just to make sure there is not another "Moderator error".

It is important to tell anyone who provides a good or service for remuneration when they do not meet expectations. I have done it several times. Not as much as I wish I had, but that is usually laziness or forgetfulness. It is also important to let them know when they are doing a good job, but I worry less about that; many companies are very proactive in securing positive kudos. If you do not like something or feel you got short shrift, well speak up. It works! blbbl

No comments:

Post a Comment