pages

search the rooster

Tuesday, January 31, 2017

i have a pink toothbrush

Yes, I have a pink toothbrush. It is one of those Oral-B battery jobbies. It works great. I really do not care what colour it is. In fact, we all have one, the wife, the boy, and me. The wife's is green and the boy's is blue. That is why I ended up with a pink one. I got mine after them.


the toothbrush

Now, the wife and I have different dentists, but both of them give freebie toothbrushes at our checkups. I use manual toothbrushes when travelling, camping, and the like. The funny thing is, I normally prefer the toothbrushes the wife gets from her dentist and she prefers the ones I get from mine. I usually pick green ones and she usually picks pink or purple ones. So, I normally have a pink or purple toothbrush.

I know a lot of guys have an aversion to pink and purple because it is "girly". Whatever. At least I know when I am camping, no one is going to accidentally use my toothbrush.


The funny thing though, way back in the 80s, it was considered fashionable for men to have a pink button down shirt. In my circles, it was a Brooks Brothers. I had one. I think I got it from my brother. I suppose in some circles it still is fashionable. Cool. I no longer have that shirt, but honestly I very rarely see men in pink shirts. Usually white, which I hate, or blue. It is the same for cream coloured shirts. Very hard to find. 

I also have several purple ties. They have big, happy flowers, or abstract designs. They look good on me. Most guys, boring solid or college-style striped ties. The only striped ties I want are ones that represent institutes of learning I attended or Regiments I served in. I am on a hunt for a Tartan tie though. A Polish Tartan tie actually, for Robbie Burns Suppers and other Scottishy events. Yes, an official Polish Tartan exists. It is for Polish people and those that associate themselves with Poland.


my purple ties, and a pink one too!


the polish tartan (courtesy tartanregister.gov.uk)

I find it amusing that so many people are slaves to fashion and the opinions of others. There is a saying: "Real Men Wear Pink". Nowadays, it means support for breast cancer awareness. And that is fantastic. Yet, back in the day, it was a catch phrase to put down the fellas uncomfortable with other men wearing pink as a fashion statement or preference.


To me, what it comes down to, you have to like your stuff, your clothes etc. Not try to impress people, if you do impress while doing the former, then I guess it is a bonus. The catch phrase for me is: "Wear What You like And Like What you Wear". Be happy with your choices. Be confident and comfortable in and of yourself. blbbl


a man who is confident and comfortable with himself (cadged off of instagram.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment