pages

search the rooster

Saturday, January 07, 2017

inaugural post - handkerchiefs

"A gentleman always has a handkerchief." I heard it growing up in film and on television all the time. My father always had one. Thomas Magnum of Magnum P.I. always had one. When I was in a suit, I always had one. When I was in the army, I always had one. When I went camping, I always had one. When my son, the boy, was an infant, I always had hankie-like devices. Outside of that, I never did.

Why not? They are very handy. They can wipe the sweat from your brow; wipe dirt and grease off your hands; become a makeshift bandage; if large enough, a bandana or head covering; wipe schmutz from your kid's face; clear the inside of your windshield; keep a woman's hand fresh and dainty while dancing; wave to the troops shipping out or to surrender; and so many other applications. If all else fails, you can blow your nose.

So, why not?

Nowadays I only know one person who has one. My friend John from Kars, Ontario. That is until one day when I asked myself as to why I do not have one with me every day. I saw no reason not have one. So, after forgetting constantly, I corralled all the hankies I got from my father and the army and those few I knew not where they came from. Then, about eight months ago, after forgetting constantly, I began to consistently carry a hankie. Most days I have one. Except when they are in the wash.

I now have them in various locations: my multitude of go-bags, my Scouting gear, my camping gear, and the like. The boy has absconded with several. I have advised the Scouts in our Troop that they should at least carry one in their Scout gear and their field gear, if not on them every day (no need to get snot and dirt all over their neckers).

My biggest problem in relation to handkerchiefs is replacing them. Some have begun to wear out. I suspect some of them may be as old as I am. And having spread them out in my gear and the like, I have fewer serviceable hankies for everyday. So, I went online. If one wants plain white handkerchiefs, easy-peasy. However, I find white anything, does not stay white for long. So, I kept looking. There are many sources, but they can be quite costly, either for the product itself or the shipping costs. So, I went to a department store (The Bay), after about ten minutes and some outstanding customer service, we found a two-pack for a ridiculously high price. Not all was lost though. The clerk got a "sample" from an older employee and he passed it on to me.

I returned online. The Bay has a pretty decent deal for a multipack. Marks Work Wearhouse has a two-pack of bandanas that is not so bad as they are oversized, perfect for field use. If I want to get fancy (and pricey)  there are many choices. However, Marks & Spencer London by far has the best deal though. With reasonable shipping to Canada and pricing in Canadian funds. They have a multi-pack in blue that I am eyeing, but it is sold out right now, maybe forever. I fear I may have to test my sewing skills and purchase a yard or two of cotton and sew my own. In the end, I will probably buy some inexpensive white ones for now to swap out with those in my gear.

So, however you you choose to outfit yourself: white, fancy, cheap, pricey; not only should every gentleman have a handkerchief, but every man, woman, and child too. What are you waiting for? Give your schnoz a treat! blbbl

2 comments:

  1. I've starting using one when hiking and travelling but still resort to bits of toilet paper around the house. The worn-out handkerchiefs make great rags for cleaning anything where you don't want lint (like glass).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I too use toilet paper around the house to my wife's consternation. As to using worn out hankies for cleaning, that is a terrific idea. It reminds me of my mother using our old undies for the same purpose - to my consternation.

    ReplyDelete