pages

search the rooster

Saturday, January 06, 2018

cooking - quick and dirty pork

Well, not dirty, that would be quite disgusting.

And not so quick as I am cooking it in a crock pot.

Actually, two crock pots.

So, why two crock pots?

Well, we bought a giant pork loin roast last Saturday and kind of forgot about it. Originally, we were going to cut it in half and freeze one part and cook the other this week, but like I said, we kind of forgot about it.

Originally, we were going to do a dinner out and a film tonight, but changed our minds. So, we were jabbering about what to do for dinner now. The wife asked if we had any chops. I went down to the freezer to search and then it was an oh-oh moment. I remembered about the pork roast.

The roast was "fresh" when we bought it, meaning that it was just shipped in from the meat packers, and it was vac-packed as well. This was fortunate.

I brought it upstairs and put it in the sink and cut the packaging open thinking it was going to stink to high-heaven and end up in the bin. But no. It was in fine shape. Yet huge. It was a lot of pig.

So, I cut it in half and then cut one half in to fist-sized chunks and put it in the slow cooker that the mother-in-law ditched on us. The other one, I left in one big roast sized chunk and one small roast sized chunk.

The fisty one got the remains of my home-made rhubarb relish as a marinade that has been kicking around the fridge for a while. I also lathered the chunks with dried granulated garlic and onion and white pepper and paprika. Then I topped it some freshish parsley left from Christmas.

The roasty one got some hot pepper jelly, that again, has been kicking around the fridge. Thankfully, we got gifted some hot jelly in the Hammer by a friend. The roasty chunks also got the same dry seasoning treatment. But this time I added leftover dill. That is correct, dill. It should offset the heat with a unique layer.

Now, for those slabs of pig, I just need to wait a few hours and voilà: main course for supper.

The wife asked for mashed potatoes. So, mashed it is, with a few put aside for the boy as he does not yet find the pleasure in the mashedness of 'taters. However, I am in a funny mood, so I will also be making gnocchi and maybe pasta.

Veggies? Checking the fridges right now. Be back in a sec.....

Grilled zucchini (needs to be used up), fried mushrooms (needs to be used up), broccoli (because I really like it), and Guest Room 184 salad (avocados need to be used up).I have some habaneros that need using as well, so they will get in there somewhere.

So, a "gotta be eaten" type of supper, but I guarantee you, it will be sup(p)er delicious. Ha! blbbl

[N.B. Everything changes in two days.]

No comments:

Post a Comment