pages

search the rooster

Sunday, January 07, 2018

movie review (sort of) - the last jedi - no spoilers

So, maybe the wife and I are the last people in the free world to see Star Wars: The Last Jedi. But, we went to see it at a matinee with the boy today.

I quite enjoyed it. The wife thought it was "okay". The boy, who saw it for a second time today, also thought it was "okay".

First some background. I have only seen a handful of the Star Wars films at the theatre: The Force Awakens (Episode VII), Rogue One, and, now, The Last Jedi (Episode VIII). The rest, on VHS and/or DVD.

Of all the films, I of course liked all of them, but especially: A New Hope (Episode IV), The Empire Strikes Back (Episode V), Attack of the Clones (Episode II), The Force Awakens (Episode VII), Rogue One, and The Last Jedi (Episode VIII).

Basically, my favourites are the second films in each of the three trilogies, including Last Jedi. My absolute favourite is still "Empire". Sadly, much of that movie was spoiled (spoilt?) for me by spoiler ignorants. Nevertheless, I still immensely enjoyed it, and continue to still enjoy it; I think it is the best of every single Star Wars film, series, special (I did see the Star Wars Holiday Special) , what have you. Plus, Rogue One, probably because it is so anti-heroic (or more appropriately: non-heroic) in many ways, in a film and television kind of way. However, I will not state anything specific in order to prevent ruining it for anyone who may not yet have seen it. I am sure there are some out there.

Now, I am a huge Star Wars fan, as well as Star Trek for that matter. However, I am not a (total) fanatic. I can discuss it for hours, but I do not really get bent out of shape over too much and "Monday morning quarterback" it to death in how it could have been done differently or better. Sure, such things do get discussed, but not in a life shattering method.

Now, to The Last Jedi. As much as I liked the film, I found the write up during the opening crawl a bit cheesy, but not a big deal. Maybe they all are? Not sure now?? The opening scene is quite exciting and has some pretty funny bits; I laughed out loud. Actually, I laughed out loud quite a few times. There were several exciting scenes, but again, I do not want to spoil anything.

There were a few surprises and unexpected bits and a few little teases here and there, if you could notice them. As to the surprises and unexpected bits and turns, before Disney bought up this franchise, I read a lot about the "future evolution" of the Star Wars universe that were considered canon. Some of it was quite fascinating and I would have loved for it to have evolved that way, but, hey, what can you do?

Saying that though, there are plenty of "nods" to the evolution of the originally conceived (or is it perceived?) canon. Saying that though, in the past, George Lucas himself altered the canon periodically. So, again, what can you do?

Anyway, I thought the film was very well done, for the most part. There was one scene, not to harp about it, that could have been done a bit differently. It, like the opening crawl was cheesy. But I am not going to spoil anything. You will probably know what scene I mean anyway.

The film also carries on with the circular nature of the the trilogies in how history (even fictional history) has a tendency to be repetitive.

Say what you will about the direction that Disney is taking the Star Wars universe, it is still pretty darned good and not many out there can say definitively which direction or path it would have followed if Mr. Lucas was still at the helm or passed the mantle to some other entity or person.

If you do not like how the story is progressing, move out of you parents' basement and make your own sci-fi epic.

I liked and enjoyed it. It is a fictional story. Enjoy the story. This latest instalment is entertaining and well done for the most part. If I can get past the bits of cheese, anyone should be able to get past any niggly bits they perceive too.

I cannot wait to get it on DVD to watch again and try to see bits and pieces I missed the first time.

I also cannot wait for the next Star Wars instalment.

"May the force be with you!" (Sorry, had to do it.) blbbl

[N.B. Everything changes in one day.]


No comments:

Post a Comment