pages

search the rooster

Thursday, February 23, 2017

cats! - other people's cats

So, for the last two days I wrote about my cats. Now long gone. I have a few more cat comments to make before we leave this subject.

In the whole time I have known my best friend he has had two cats. The first was Boots. He was an a-hole. No one could go near him. He would just look at you with what seemed a sneer. Basically, your typical snotty cat. Boots personified why I do not see myself as a cat person.

His other cat, Morty, is still young. A couple years old I believe. He is better, but skittish. When I visit, It normally takes him a full day to come out and approach me. He often hides in the couch. Yes, in the couch. He has apparently burrowed himself a hidey-hole. When he does finally come out he is usually quite friendly. But again, this is why I am not a cat person. Our animal friends should be gregarious and approachable.

The neighbour, who looks after various creatures, currently has two cats. Sam (or Sammy) and Boo. They are not too bad. Every now and again, when they go away, the neighbours not the cats, ask us to feed them, the cats not the neighbours. Sammy can be quite distant and snooty. That is until he realises you are feeding him. Then he is your best buddy. He rubs all over your legs and lets you pet him. All that good stuff, but it comes with a bribe.

It is funny with him because he roams in our backyard. No problem. I do not chase him away or yell at him. In fact I speak to him with a calm voice, but he usually takes off when he sees me. Again, your typical "that is why I am not a cat person" result.

Boo, on the other hand, is more approachable. He keeps his distance at first, until he figures out you are it, no one else is coming today. Then he meets you at the door and lets you pet him and he checks you out and all that. A fairly friendly cat.

The neighbour used to have a cat named Mew. He was like a little friendly footstool. You would come to the door and he would get all excited and when you came in the door he would greet you with meows and leg rubbings. Then he would lead you to the kitchen. He knew why you were there and figured you might as well get it over with I guess. It was really funny. He would meow and take a couple of steps and then look back and meow and do it again a bunch of times. It was as if he was saying: "Come on, follow me, the food's through here. Thanks for coming." He would almost seem dejected that you were leaving, but when you came back it was the same routine. Mew had a lot of character to say the least. I would nominate him as one of the all-time great cats.

One other cat I will mention was one that a friend told me about. I do not know all of the details, just that if you pissed this cat off for any reason, he would take a dump in your shoe. And he would do it in such a way that you would not see it. You would only discover it after you put the shoe on your foot. This was not a one-off situation. This cat did it all the time. My friend said that she pretty much knew when the cat was going to do it. She always checked her shoes, even if she did not piss the cat off. Just in case. Now this cat had character, but what a spiteful bastard. This one goes down as one of the most sinister cats I have ever heard of.

I have to cut it here as I am calling around to try to rent a vehicle for our trip to the Canada Jamboree this summer. These car rental companies are something else. There really are only a few car rental companies as they all own each other. I guess to make it look like there is competition, but there really is not any. It is really hard to get a vehicle that will seat eight people and I have yet to find any that you can get with a trailer hitch. It is going to be very interesting getting our gear to Nova Scotia, let me tell you.

Anyway, just to conclude about cats. I am not a cat person, but I have an affinity for cats. That I admit, but I hate those distant cold ones that seem to hate everything around them. If they are friendly and approachable, I do not mind them. I can even enjoy their company. If they are loaded with character or even just loopy, I will take them over any moronic dog that just knows how to bark, eat, and crap. But, I am thinking of getting a dog. They do make great companions in the bush. The mutt is going to have to be gregarious and full of personality though.

No comments:

Post a Comment