pages

search the rooster

Monday, February 27, 2017

the bamboo steamer

This not about the cooking implement, but about something in my bedroom.

No, it is not something obscene or suggestive.

It is a mattress topper.

This one is made out of bamboo.

We had one already made of cotton and it was okay, but it did not really add that puffiness as promised and it was off the bed half the time when it went in to the wash and we would forget to put it back on.

Anyway, one of my sisters-in-law (I have four) gave us a mattress topper for Christmas. It looked really nice.

It was thicker than the cotton one, it had that unbleached tone that I like. You know, that off-white beige tone. I really like it. 

I wish I could get kitchen appliances in that colour. I think it is often called "linen", but it is not really.

The first sheet change after Christmas we put it on. It looked very promising.

That night as I lay down, I remarked at how much cushier the bed was. We have a futon that is very firm. We did not lose that firmness, but a lovely layer of softness topped it. Hence, mattress topper, I guess.

Then, when I woke up I noticed I was really warm. The kind of warm when you are not sure if you are coming down with something or not. It gives me that "I do not want to get out of bed feeling" because I am super cosy.

Well, it was almost too cosy. Now, do not get me wrong, I love that feeling of warmth in the morning, but I was on the cusp of breaking in to a sweat.

The wife said she did not notice any difference. Then a couple of nights later she did. She said she was quite warm. I know. Almost too warm. I know. Is it too warm? I do not know.

Anyway, when sheet change time came again, we put the other one on. It was great, we did not have to wash the topper that was on the bed first, as we had another one that was clean and ready to go.

Go to bed.

Aw man. No cushiness. No super warm feeling.

Next sheet change, on went the bamboo one from the sister-in-law. Cushy and warm.

Almost too warm.

Hey wait?...

Bamboo...

Almost too warm...

Almost sweating...

Kind of of like steaming...

The bamboo steamer!

I do not think we can use it in the summer because we will be too warm. Probably hot.

I also normally like to sleep cool, but the wife likes to sleep super warm normally. So, I have adapted somewhat after being together nearly thirty years and married for over fifteen years.

I quite like that almost too warm feeling now.

I love my bamboo steamer.

Thanks sis!

not the bamboo steamer i was talking about
but i think i need to get one of these now to complete the ensemble
(courtesy gluttonize)

2 comments:

  1. Sorry about the extra heat but I agree with the cushy comfortable feeling. Have you tried putting on the bamboo steamer and then the cotton cover...then you would have some warmth the cushy comfy feeling and then the cotton would provide the coolness the wife needs. Let me know how it goes if you try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing to be sorry about. I will try it with the cotton on top of the bamboo. It should be good for the spring and summer. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete