pages

search the rooster

Saturday, February 11, 2017

sometimes i hate technology - wifi

So, in Guelph yesterday visiting two of my sisters-in-law. And I ask for the wifi login info. I am quoted the network name and a bunch of characters for the password. I think that is it. Okay? I try it. Nope. Having worked computer support in various venues for over a decade, I figure it out from the incorrect information given. Too funny. I type up my blog post and upload it, before my personal deadline of 6:00PM.

I close the laptop and put it to sleep. Oh? What? Yes, I can look that up. Wake up the computer, kicked off the network. Will not reconnect. Click on the wifi utility, it will not launch. Try all my tricks. Nope. Restart. Back online. Utility will now launch. I find often when there is a connectivity glitch, the wifi utility stalls.

Anyway back online. Do my thing. Shut it down for the night.

It is a new day. We sort ourselves out and head to Hamilton to get ready for the mother-in-law's jubilee. Run a bunch of errands. Get in the door and unload. I need to get online to post. What is the network name? Okay. What is the password? It is this or that. Really? Neither one works. My phone and tablet are connected, but I cannot see the password details. This happens every time. The mother-in-law is constantly changing her network details and sometimes the wifi is disabled. I never configured it. Whoever did, I have no idea what they have done. I never touch it. As this laptop has not connected under the latest configuration, I must deal with it using guerrilla tactics.

I slave the laptop to the phone to go online. I am currently connecting and disconnecting. Also, for some reason, the major flaw with this particular laptop, the cursor jumps around the text box as I type and I am constant retyping my work. It does this only with the built in keyboard. I normally attach a full keyboard, but I am in gypsy mode, so travel light. I think the cursor touchpad is too sensitive to the heat from my digits.

Anyway, what I do not understand, is why, when people have become so dependant on technology and being online, they do not even know their network details and half the time do not even know how to connect. I have a friend who does not know his wifi password, so no new devices can connect. I told him to call his internet service provider so he can reset everything and write down the details and put it somewhere safe and memorable. Guess what I get to do tomorrow? I will be calling for him and getting it done. I do not configure other peoples' wifi any more. I will call their internet service provider (ISP) and have them walk me through their method.

Why do I do it that way you ask? Well, because. Many years ago I used to it for people so they could save time. Guess what they do after I leave? They push buttons, change network names, change passwords, but do they keep track of all the button pushing? Do they write anything down? Do they have any clue what they are doing? Nope, nope, and nope! What they do do, is call me up and tell me I screwed up their computer and their network and blah, blah, blah. Did it stop working  right after I left? Oh no, a couple of weeks later. Oh, so somehow I time delayed the screwing up I did to your computer and network. Really? What happened when it stopped working properly? What? What were you doing when it happened? Oh. I was pushing buttons and saying yes to everything on my screen and I reset this and I reset that. Right. It is my fault!? Really? Well, I did not have these problems before you worked on my computer. Well, you were not online either before I "worked" on your computer. (By the way, "worked" implies I was paid. Nope. No money in my hands.) Well, then you must have put a virus on the computer that screwed everything up. Nooo. Any viruses on your computer, and I am sure there are several now, by what you tell me, are from you going to websites you are not supposed to be going to.

Anyway, I do fix it all up for them. I clean all the crap they downloaded that should not be there. I remove the viruses I put on. Being foolish, I would do this about three times before I tell them, last time, go pay someone to work on it next time. So, there are only three people I normally do this kind of "work" for any more. But, that is why I no longer do it for most people.

People, this is not hard. Write down your network details. Do not go to websites you should not be going to. Do not click "yes", "okay" or anything, until you read what you are clicking, and make sure that dialogue box is legit. Do not change computer names, network names, passwords, or anything, unless you write everything down first, old and new information, and make sure you know the consequences of your actions. Oh, one more thing, when you ask your brother, sister, son, daughter, buddy, in-law, or whomever, to "work" on your computer and two weeks later something is wrong with your computer and/or network, do not blame them, blame yourself. 

Well, I have less than six minutes to move the truck out of the driveway, shower, shave, get dressed, and get upstairs for celebrate the mother-in-law's oaken jubilee. If I survive, see you tomorrow.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment