pages

search the rooster

Friday, February 10, 2017

what has happened to professional hockey?

So, I was at an NHL game last night. The boy got a ticket deal through his school. $20 each for $60 tickets. He wanted to take his best friend to the game for his birthday as a gift. He got four tickets for the two of them, me, and his friend's old man, Denis. $80 in so far.

We met them at his friend's hockey practice (or is it practise in this case, you tell me) and then we dumped my truck at a grocery store and went in one vehicle to save on parking. We got a choice spot with a quick exit to the back roads to my truck and home. It was $20 for parking. Good thing we took only one vehicle to the game. $100 in now.

We get to the entrance gate. Metal detectors at the entrance. Really? Empty your pockets. Okay. Is that a knife? Yes. You cannot bring that in. What? That is ridiculous! Send everyone else in to get the hotdog deal, a limited time deal. A buck each and drinks for the boys. I hoof it back to buddy's truck and unload my two knives, Leatherman, and my flashlight just in case. (This is part of my every day carry, aka EDC.) Go back, go through security. Put keys in basket and take off my hat.  The security is a joke. I did not take off my dog tags. No beeping. Now Canadian military tags are aluminium, but I have a steel disk attached to them and the chain is steel. Up the stairs and meet the gang. Eight hotdogs and two softdrinks, $10. $110 in and we have not even found our seats yet.

Well, the big boys need something to drink. A Caesar each and Coors Light too, $40. $150 and the game has not started. We watch the first period. Dallas is dominating Ottawa in the first half of the period, and there it ended, then Ottawa gets a goal. Okay no problem. Then with plenty of time left in the period, Dallas pulls their goalie. Shortly after, the puck sadly slides into the net. The goalie is returned to his post. I hope so. Who pulls their goalie in the first period, one goal down?

I am rooting for Dallas by the way. Coming from Hamilton, I do not root for Ottawa, Toronto, or Buffalo. Due to the backroom baloney that one future and those two existing franchises engaged in to prevent Hamilton being on the expansion roster. I will not go into detail or argue about it. That is the way it is. There is a pub owner I know who thinks anyone living in the Ottawa Valley should root for the Ottawa Senators. I explained why I do not. He accepts my reasoning. He has told me, oddly enough, that he knows several people, "a bunch of you guys", from Hamilton in the (Ottawa) Valley who have put forth the same logic. He finds it amusing, but accepts it. That is good enough for me.

Anyway, one thing that amazed me, other than pulling the goalie so early, was that three times in the first period, during stoppages, a bunch guys come skating out with what appear to be snow shovels and scrape up the ice tailings from the game play. Really? They did this in each period. No less than three times each period. Really? I am no hockey expert and I do not really watch hockey much and have not been to a game for some time, but really? When I was a younger lad, they did not do that. The commentators would talk about how dicey it could get in the corners from the excess ice shavings. Bloody hell, it would get slushy at times. It made for a more organic and less predictable game.

The other stupidity, to me, was all the whistle blowing. A lot. Yeah, yeah, yeah. Offside. Really? I remember way back, that if it was really close going over the blue line, and it did not appear to be deliberate and really did not alter game play or if the player was obviously not involved in the play, no whistle. Again, a more organic game. Now, tweet, tweet, tweet. My theory? It lets the broadcasters and league throw more commercials up on the telly for viewers to go pee during, plus all the unavoidable advertising at the arena. This went on the whole game.

So, before the second period began. Another barley pop ($10) and a bag of (not stale) popcorn ($5), $15. $165 and I am not amused or entertained yet. For the third period: two more buckets of suds ($10@), two pretzels ($5@), some fries ($7), and two more sodas (now $5@). $212! Oh yeah, some 50/50, another $20 ($10@ for the dads). So, $232, $222 for me, for the evening. I have had more expensive nights and cheaper nights. But for $200+, I expect a better night and better game. These players nowadays, make good coin. They should not waste time on fights for nothing, which the fans applaud. That blows to me, what are they teaching their kids? Sure, sometimes someone needs a smack, but if I want to see a fight, I will go to a boxing match or a karate tournament.

The game reminded me of the old WWF days, now known as the WWE, I think. A missed promotional opportunity to me with the World Wildlife Fund. Anyway, these players play like they are acting a part. Athletes entertain by their ability, or inability, in the sport, not by their talents as off-Broadway rejects, except for the Italian national soccer team. (And Spanish. And Brazilian...)

So, do I plan to attend a game any time soon? No, not really. Especially, if they move the arena into the core of Ottawa. Maybe, if I get a great deal again and we go out for dinner first to get more bang for my food dollars. Especially if there is a free limo. And Calgary plays (Flames! Yeah!!). And a whole bunch of other what ifs.

Oh. Yeah. The Ottawa Senators beat the Dallas Stars, 3-2. Neither team deserved the win for such so-so play. Not even the least bit of Karmic justice with a tie score.

go flames go! (stolen from the interweb, but ultimately courtesy of the Calgary Flames)

No comments:

Post a Comment