pages

search the rooster

Sunday, August 20, 2017

a chicken for 4¢? - hot damn!

That is correct. We were shopping today while the boy was volunteering. We were finding some deals. Cheap cauliflower and broccoli. Okay priced pork. Could not find any decent lamb though.

Then we went to the FreshCo. near Ray's Reptiles. We were hoping to find lamb for a curry or at least some reasonably priced boneless chicken. Not much. Chicken thighs were priced okay. Then...

There it was. A Blue Goose brand chicken. It was twelve dollars and four cents. That is why I normally do not buy them. I got one a couple of weeks ago with a total of six dollars off stickers on it. Well, this one had a $5.00 off and a $1.00 off sticker on top of it. I thought, well we really don't need another chicken. Then...

I turned it over. It had another 5 and 1 buck off pair of stickers on it. The wife and I both figure it is a mistake or fake. Mistake: a clerk accidentally tagged both sides. Fake: someone put tags on from another discounted product with the intention to pass it off, but put it back.

I figure I will take it to the cash anyway and see if they will apply all the discounts. First thing the wife says, You're not going to argue with them if they say no? Not today. Okay, give it a shot.

Off we go and pick up a few other items and we hit the cashout. We point out all the stickers on the bird. The cashier says she needs to call the meat department because it just looks wrong. I concur and advise her, regardless of the answer she gets, I will not argue with her if it is not in my favour. She smiles at that. Then...

The meat guy shows up, looks at it, has an I don't care look, and says, Yeah sure, go ahead, apply all the discounts. The cashier asks him to confirm. Yup. She chuckles and is dumbfounded by our 4¢ poultry. I myself am pleased. I advise her that she will get good karma for this. She chuckles.

When we get home, in the freezer it goes for either roasting or a soup at some unspecified time in the future, maybe something else. Time will tell. You cannot beat a whole clucker for under a nickel. Just because an insanely great deal looks unlikely to happen, does not mean it will not. You just need to give it a shot. Works for me. blbbl

No comments:

Post a Comment