pages

search the rooster

Thursday, August 03, 2017

the advent of cheap colour printing

A quick post. Still working away at the basement and the aftermath of the flooding. Just something to chew on.

So, I finally got to the box of teaware I brought back from a visit to Taiwan several years ago.

I brought back a bunch of cups, teapots, and other paraphernalia related to have tea à la the Gongfu Tea Ceremony style.

I should have it out and be using it. I just do not have a space suitable, so it has been packed away until I can fabricate something. I was planning on a humble little hut outside as I was inspired in The Book of Tea. This book is one of my go-to books for calming and serenity as well.

Anyway, I have not yet built my hut, so everything was in a box on a shelf. The bottom shelf. So, the box got wet. Everything has ended up being fine, except for a presentation box I received as a gift. It is an ornately decorated box with two smaller boxes inset inside. It is for storing tea and provides a bit of flourish when you execute the ceremony for guests. It is made of paper and is ruined. It could have been worse.

Well, I decided to repack everything with fresh newsprint. I do not use anything with colour when storing any kind of dishware. An old habit I learnt from my parents in the pre-vegetable dye days. As sometimes the colour could transfer to the dishware.

I have several boxes of community newspapers that I have for use in the woodstove. I had to go through six papers just to get enough black and white only sheets to pack my moderate collection. I remember when mainstream papers rarely had colour, except for some once-in-a-lifetime event. And community papers never did. Now, most pages have colour as it is eye-catching. Personally, I was never a big fan of colour in newsprint. I loved it in Europe when some papers where printed on off-colour paper. A soft pink or blue or green tone, or even just really dark grey. It was not dyed, it was just the colour of the mash I guess.

I have yet to go through my mum's china. There is a lot more of that. I am sure it will be a hoot.

Sometimes, simple is better. I like my newspapers with just black ink. Just the facts please. blbbl

No comments:

Post a Comment