pages

search the rooster

Friday, August 04, 2017

mum's china etc.

This guy's still harping about his penny-ante flood.

Yup, I am the centre of my universe. Just like everyone else.

So, went through all but one of the remaining wet boxes. Why did I not go through the last one? I am exhausted.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand.

My mum's china fared well through the wet. A complete set of fine china dinnerware. Made in of all places: East Germany. Believe it or not, those "Commie Krauts" could made some very nice delicate, stuff. In fact, since unification, it sucks. Says something about collectivisation and forced labour I guess?

maker's mark
i should find out more about it, it may prove of interest

I also have several beautiful, delicate Christmas ornaments from the DDR that are older than me. I also have some post Berlin Wall that are no so much (fragile - not delicate, and much less detailed).

The china is "bone white" with gold edging. Real gold; no microwaves for this stuff. Unless you want a fire or explosion. Maybe that was the plan? Those crafty Germans. Just kidding. No, really, I am. 

There was even a coffee carafe. However, I really do not know what to do with it all. Our house is small. Less than eight-hundred square feet, not counting our basement, which now doubles as a wading pool apparently. Plus, I do not have the china hutch or side board anymore. My brother's the wife appropriated that shortly after their marriage.

coffee anyone?

I digress. It has all been repacked. Along with some beautiful, Czech (aka Bohemian) crystalware. Including a port decanter and eight little snifter glasses. Also a silver framed chafing dish, which I forgot I had and the wife loves.

Also, my two-pint stoneware mug from my days with a Highland Regiment. Again, I know not what to do with it. I should see if the Regimental Museum may be interested in it as a miscellaneous oddity.

bottoms up?

One curious find. Two rifle scopes that were not where they should have been. They need some TLC, but I am confident they will come out alright in the end. (You can see them in the coffee carafe photo.)

So, we are all but set. The pull out couch may very well be shot. We will see if sunshine and fresh air, what little we are getting, may save it. The dehumidifier, which we desperately need, is toast. Oddly, someone snagged it off the driveway. Good luck to them, I have kept the weighted float. Without that, it does not work and it is difficult to rig a makeshift one. I know, I have tried.

It will still take weeks to complete all the work required in the basement, but we are all but (shallow) flood proof now. Just need to now get on rigging the extra sump pump I have as an emergency backup and source out a trash pump. Now, if I could only be as "come-from-behind-successful" with my mud-weed-rock vegetable garden?! blbbl

No comments:

Post a Comment