pages

search the rooster

Monday, August 28, 2017

the perils of selling online

I do not run any kind of online store or business, but I do sell things online. I have sold many various items on the interweb. Too many to be listed here. I have had people ask me to break laws, which I never have in my online sales. I just really sell items that I no longer have any use for, but still potentially have a long life ahead of them.

I do my best to operate with truthfulness and honesty. I have never deliberately misled anyone. Mistakes happen and normally they are fixed quite easily as long as all parties involved keep calm and have an open dialogue.

I have also bought many items online. From full-fledged companies, individuals running small businesses, and people like me who are just selling items they no longer want, but still have use left in them.

I have also been given the run around. It is rare, but it happens. There was one individual running a business through eBay in the United States. He misrepresented himself and his sales items. I actually involved both Canada Post and the United States Postal Service. I even contacted the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, Canada's national police force and spoke with fraud investigators from two different U.S. state police departments (the USPS put them in touch with me). The guy was selling from one address and collecting payment in another.

U.S. authorities were having trouble nailing this guy as people were reluctant to pursue the issue. The American police and postal service were very happy to take my information to pursue action against this criminal. Yes, he was a criminal. And because his actions involved multiple States (and countries), it was potentially a U.S. federal issue.

I had cautioned this fellow long before I did contact authorities officially. In the end he was giving me the run around. The items will be sent, the items have been sent, a refund will be issued, a refund has been issued. All kinds of untruths. This was also when the interweb was smaller and I was pretty good at getting information online. I found multiple addresses, phone numbers, and email addresses for this dude. I contacted them all. He still jerked me around. I even found out his real name; that spooked him a bit.

Yet, he still did not make good. That was when I contacted and/or spoke with whatever authorities would listen to me. I made statements, provided information, and the like. The U.S. cops and postal investigators did not have nearly as much information about this guy that I did. They had several complaints and those details, but I provided locations and other aliases they did not have.

Oddly enough, as the noose was tightening on this chap, I received a combination of the items I purchased from him, the actual stuff and not fakes and such, and a refund for what he could not provide. He knew I handed off what information I had to the authorities at this point as well. Now, I do not know how it all works down South, but all those American investigators pretty much stopped communicating with me after I informed them of my situation. However, I did tell them that I was still willing to do what I could. I personally knew several people who were burned by this guy. There were some follow-ups, but then it just seemed to go away. Now, I did provide an active address for the bloke, the first hot lead the Yanks had in some time. He had already given them the slip a few times or the leads were cold. So, I do not know? Maybe they busted him and did not need me to make the charges stick. Who knows?

Why did I keep helping after my purchase was satisfied. Well, the guy was a scumbag and a thief. He still had ripped off a lot of people, including friends and acquaintances. Plus, right up until the end, he was still trying to dodge me. I was just more persistent than he was. I also operated some of my little private sales in the same circles he did. If things continued to get out of hand, it could have seriously affect people like me as well as people operating similar businesses, most of whom were small time operators and it would have devastated them and harmed the little private independents like me.

Why do I bring this up now? So many years later? Well, let me tell you. I am currently engaged with items for sale on kijunkjunk and elsewhere. I recently sold something privately and online. Just like I had done in the past. Just moving items along that I no longer have a use for, but others certainly may. I operated the transaction as transparently as possible. The party that purchased the item and received it was unhappy. Statements were made. Money was wanted back. I was a little upset, but remained calm in my communications back. I addressed the purchaser's comments and statements in turn. The purchaser has since contacted me back and was more amicable. I am not saying that they were not in the initial contact since receiving the item, but it perturbed me.

Now, I am waiting for further communication from this person after they consult someone else about the item and I am sure it will work out well for all parties involved. I am not calling this person down. And, yes, I know there is an open dispute about this transaction. However, no telling details have been mentioned at all.

So, why do I bring this up? While it is still ongoing? Well, let me tell you. I consider myself an honest person. I would never misrepresent myself or anything I am selling. Sometimes details go unnoticed or things happen. It does not mean anything sinister or deceitful has occurred. I just want it out in the open and in public: I do not try to rip anyone off. I have been through it myself and not just with the above interstate/international knave.

If you sell online or want to, just be honest, calm, and forthright. Also, do not let yourself get ripped off. You can usually tell when it has gone south. Just stay calm, regardless what side of the transaction you are on. Otherwise, things can get crazy. Well, I wait on pins and needles. Sometimes, I just cannot catch a break. Hopefully, I am due. blbbl

No comments:

Post a Comment