pages

search the rooster

Tuesday, March 21, 2017

a long contemplative drive home

After completing my hike very early this morning and running some errands in Hamilton, including getting a paddling knife from a local camping store, I had another long contemplative drive. This time, back home. I also went out to a place in the Kawarthas to pick up a really good and well priced PFD for the boy. Alas, that store was closed for the season, contrary to what google maps told me. I should have been smarter and phoned first. No biggie, but lesson learnt.

While driving I started listening to an audio book entitled The Hoarder in You. Now, I am not a real hoarder, but after listening to the first four chapters so far, I see signs of a very cluttered path I could go down. If you have too much stuff, or conversely too little space, you may want to read or listen to this book.

So, to continue with my pledge to get my act together, which also includes cleaning up my crap, this book, so far, has "scared me straight". Even though I will soon have to start getting my vegetable garden expanded and started, amongst some landscaping I want to do as well, I will, as of tomorrow, dedicate at least one to two hours per day cleaning my stuff up and disposing of many unneeded and unwanted items.

When my efforts begin to flag, as they always do, I will enlist the wife to crack the whip. She does not really, but has a way to keep me going at it, if I do not resist, and helps me set reasonable goals that do not scare me off from working at my junk.

So, the drive was not as good as the one to Hamilton, but it was still better than the usual mad dashes to and from the Hammer. There were a few more knuckleheads this time, mostly people who turned into the road way too close to approaching traffic and several people who could not maintain a steady speed, those I call yo-yo drivers.

Still, the drive let me work out some details in my mind with the garden and the landscaping. The landscaping I want to do will be perennial edible plants, shrubs, and trees. I also have been thinking about getting a dog and I thought about what type of dog I want. It will most likely be a rescue or at least from the SPCA, but I still have a type I am thinking about. Finally, I rolled in my mind about sorting all my stuff, especially after starting to listen to that audio book. Long drives are awesome.

So glad to be home though. The boy came out right away and helped me bring all my stuff in and the wife had dinner ready. It was a great welcome home. They also got me an audio disc: Wolf Sounds of Haliburton Forest. When they were at the cottage, they also went to the Haliburton Forest and Wild Life Reserve . So, that was cool. I am listening to it right now, good stuff.

So anyway, I am beat and I still have to finish unpacking. The wife graciously took the boy to his HEMA training. The least I could do is clean up the crap I just brought in to the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment