pages

search the rooster

Tuesday, March 14, 2017

trail hike (kinda sorta) - hamilton

So, we were still getting lambasted this morning by the snow that started yesterday afternoon. However, I decided to find a trail to hike anyway. I found the Mohawk Sports Park Trail on a map that showed dozens of trails. I chose this trail as it was a loop and it was in the area that I used to hike when I was a young lad.

I figured that if it was a short trail, which I suspected, I could just repeat the loop to make up the minimum of 4 km that I want to hike daily. Well, I drove to the Mohawk Sports Park. I drove around it twice. I could not find the trail marked anywhere. I found the Rail Trail, but it is a straight line. I was not too interested in walking a straight line as I have done that the last two days.

I continued searching. Finally I pulled in to the parking lot of the Mohawk 4 Ice Centre as I saw people going in and out. I went up to the service desk and they were very nice and they told me that they sort of, kind of knew about the trail, but other than the Bruce Trail and the Rail Trail, not much was marked. It was suggested that if I ducked in behind the arena that I should find what I was looking for. I thanked them and went on my way.

mohawk 4 ice centre this morning

Well, when I got to the back, no dice. I could see the Rail Trail, but not much else. I figured a straight trail is better than no trail. Also, I thought I may come across some side trails. I humped along for a while and saw not too much. Then there was a bit of a side trail up from the gully I was walking in, so I went up the slope. Not much. I beat around the bush, so to speak, a bit and headed to a stand of trees and scrub.

rail trail, pretty sure it would be bleak in the best of weather

coming out of the bushes by the rail trail

I headed through a field past some scraggly conifers and entered the copse. I found a trail, so I took it. I was the first person of the day so far, both along this stretch of Rail Trail and this little path.The snow so far was no less than a foot high and at times it topped my calves. I was really quite foolish to do this hike actually. 

I was wearing cotton duck pants and they have no resiliency to rain or snow. These foibles I partake in I translate in to lessons for my son and the Scouting youth I work with. I truly knew I would be alright. It would not be hard for me to step out of the scrub and get to a road, no more than a few hundred metres away at any time. 

Nevertheless, I could have twisted my ankle bad enough to not be able to carry on. However, I did leave instructions with my friend that if I was not back by a certain time to contact me. If I did not respond, then take the appropriate steps. He also knew where I went. Even though I was not on the trail I intended to be on, I was in that area and I did check in with the arena. However, I would most likely have frostbitten legs if I was waylaid for any significant length of time.

looking back on my decision to hike this bush, the trail was narrow and laden with snow

Anyway, my trousers were caked in snow and ice. I made a note to get gaiters and try to find some surplus wool field pants. I slugged it out with the snow. I covered all the trails in that little stand doubling back on myself a few times. When I ran out of trail, I hit another stand of trees, then made my way back to the Rail Trail. Oh, someone has been out with their dog, but they were long gone. I carried on past the arena. There was a promising larger stand of trees ahead. I made for them. I walked down the Rail Trail which offered some protection from the wind. Then I saw it.

A real trail that went off to the side of the Rail Trail. I pursued that avenue. I was rewarded. The snow was still deep. Deeper! But now, I was having fun. Alas, I had wasted much time and not covered as much ground to this point as I would have liked. Time to move it and find out what this section had to offer. There was a little underpass going under the Rail Trail. It would obviously have been built while the trail was an actual rail line. I honestly cannot recall if I found it when I hiked these parts years ago.

the underpass from the side trail


a view from within

the other side, oddly, there appeared to be no trail from here

After inspecting this strange little gem, I pressed on. The "trail" I was on appeared to be a service road of some kind as there were three phone utility boxes along this trail. I know not why they were there. There was no housing of any kind. Something to worry about later. I made it up to Limeridge Road and went up to check the Rail Trail crossing through. I was hoping for a parking lot to come back to later and hit the area from here. No luck.

rail trail at limeridge

I carried myself back the my new found mini-forest and walked along the outer edge looking for a new trail. After getting blasted by the wind and sinking in snow up to my thighs at times, I found an in. I tromped through the trails, and as I was nearing the point where I entered, I knew it was time to head back. The wind was getting fiercer and coming off the harbour. Not nice. 

I decided to cut across the field separating me from the arena. Bad choice. The snow was pretty damn deep and the wind was hitting me hard. I took the shortest path to the back of the arena to get in the leeward side to be protected from the wind. Bad choice. Snow up to my crotch. No. Snow up to my hips. At least I was out of the wind. It is amazing how deceptive snow can be. I found a "shovelled" path by the building and went to the service desk. I let them know I got back and would not have to call the authorities to search for my frozen corpse.

the field i had to cross to get back to the arena
i came from the stand of trees in the centre back
i should have come through the centre where it was slightly higher, more wind, less snow, faster pace

I dusted as much snow and ice off my pants, my waist pack and elsewhere and hopped in the truck. I went down Mountain Brow Boulevard to Limeridge and found a little park where I should be able to park close enough to go back to this spot. I also spotted an entrance to the Bruce Trail that looks promising. I may yet go to Buttermilk Falls tomorrow though. We will see.

my stats, i did stop several times, my knees must have been knocking the whole time

my crazy route
look, a balloon showing my start and stop point

No comments:

Post a Comment