pages

search the rooster

Saturday, March 04, 2017

score at the salvation army thrift shop

We had to pick up a few items at the grocery this week, so the wife and I took the boy for HEMA training today. Then we went off to a little Lebanese bakery that we like. Really good stuff, bought some roasted watermelon seeds to try too.

Before we went to the bakery though, we popped in to the Salvation Army thrift shop. This particular one is pretty good. The best one in the Ottawa area for men's clothing though is at Ogilve Road, but I have not been to that one in years. I actually bought a genuine, made in Hawaii, silk, Hawaiian shirt for six smackers.

Anyway, I have gotten a few decent shirts at this one too, no silk Hawaiian shirts, but we cannot always be that lucky. Today. Two Hawaiian shirts, one genuine Hawaiian, but cotton. The other one a cheapo copy, good for travelling and disposal, both seven bones. Then I found a nice checkered short-sleeve shirt, again, seven bills. 

The wife found curtains, $12 for the two. We found another Hawaiian shirt, from Hawaii for seven clams for the boy. We also got him a robe, a pair of track pants, and a pair of fold-in-their-own-pouch all-weather pants. All super cheap. I found one of those fuzzy blankets that are all full of holes like a doily and satin edging,  six bucks, I cannot find them anywhere and do not know what to call them. The wife found a huge comforter, like new, for less than a yuppie food stamp.

Not a bad haul. But no real score you say? 

Wait for it.

Wait for it.

Wait for it.

I saw this coat hanging on the rack. When I first glanced it, I thought it was an old US Army Tanker jacket from what I could see from the cut of it and the colour. I grabbed it, and immediately realised it was not, but was intrigued by the thick, rugged fabric. I took it off the hanger. Oh, it had a brand tag: Orvis. I know that they make quality sportsman's clothing. At the time, fly fishing came to mind. The jacket had a woollen lining. I figured it could not hurt to try it on. 

It fit. Nicely. It was a nice vintage khaki colour. Heavy duty canvas-like fabric, being from Orvis, I figured it would be at least water-repellent. Deep pockets. Button-up storm-flap. Knit cuffs, wait for it, under a full sleeve. I love that. That is why I tend to dislike bomber jackets and flight jackets. The knit cuff is the end of the sleeve. When I see that, I always lament that it would be a much better idea if the knit cuff was under the full sleeve. You almost never see that. It fit over a shirt, but the style of the cut would allow one to wear a sweater with it too.

The drawback? Only two pockets. There I go again with my fixation on pockets. I thought it would be nice if at least there was one inside pocket. This led me to believe that it was modelled after a military jacket. These types of jackets were notoriously short of pockets. I guess it was a way to save costs and speed up production. I thought though, that Orvis would be smart enough to add one more pocket. Oh well.

I liked it well enough. I thought it would make a great coat to leave in the truck as a backup. I have a similar coat in the back now, but it is ready to be tossed out. Then I would not need to worry so much about the lack of pockets. Plus, the collar was a bit funky. More like something nautical. I thought that as it was only $13, why not. I was very please with everything we bought today, but most of all the jacket.

We finish up, get our few needed groceries for the week, get the boy, and head home. After everything is unpacked, put away, and the goods from Sally Ann thrown in the wash, I decide to quickly check the Orvis website. You know, to see how much of a bargain it actually was.

I go to the men's jackets open all the potential jackets it could be in new tabs. I start flipping through each one, no, no, no, maybe. Maybe? Maaybe? Maaaybe? No, definitely. Yes. Positive. So, my instincts were pretty good. It is Orvis's copy of the United States Navy's N-1 Naval Deck Coat.

the jacket, you can just see the knit cuffs poking out a the end of the sleeves (courtesy orvis.com)

This is the write up from orvis.com:

Closely modeled on the classic US Navy deck coat that has been standard issue for decades, this jacket is sewn from a special 10.2-oz. corded-cotton fabric that we've heavily washed for an unmistakably vintage look and feel. Fully lined with a special blend of wool and alpaca—one of the warmest natural fibers in existence—this jacket is guaranteed to become your go-to layer in inclement weather.

So, how much of a deal was it?

Wait for it.

Wait for it.

Wait for it.

What did I pay for the jacket?

Oh, yeah, $13 plus tax. Less than 15 bucks.

What does it sell for on the Orvis website?

Wait for it.

Wait for it.

Wait for it.

$398, US funds. Wow. What does the checkout convert that to? $559.52 Canadian funds. Plus $11.00 shipping. Plus $33.01 taxes. Plus $100.71 duty (another tax). Plus $38.62 handling (a plain old grab for extra cash). For a whopping total of $742.97. Holy biscuits! Anyway you slice it, I got a super-bargain-dealio-score man!!

Okay. Okay. Okay. The jacket is not identical. The one I got, must have been in the very first production run. How do I know? The jacket now comes with an inside zip pocket. Obviously for a wallet. What do I care. I never have any money anyway. Pffffft! Oh yeah, the new production jackets have those little tabs and buttons at the back of the hips like on jean jackets that no one uses. Pffffft, keep 'em.

now with pocket! (orvis.com)

tabs no one uses (orvis.com)


one last pic of a terrific bargain (orvis.com)

3 comments:

  1. That's a real score! I love Orvis stuff but it's way to expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank-you Martin. I agree, I am way too cheap to buy from Orvis directly. This jacket has been fantastic. Several compliments too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We visited their flagship store in Vermont a couple of years ago. It was very impressive and even has an indoor flyfishing pod to test out gear before you buy. We did pick up a couple of things in their outlet store next door.

    ReplyDelete