pages

search the rooster

Thursday, March 16, 2017

what i wish they still taught in school

What kids learn in school now is different from what I learnt. What I learnt in school is different from what the generations before me learnt.

 The so-called classical education died some time in the 1950s I guess. It may have lasted in to the 60s in some locales, but I do know what my parents learnt was vastly different. Even though my mother's education was during the Communist Regime in Poland and my father was educated largely in an orphanage in East Africa, it was not dissimilar from a classical English, or Western if you will, education as that in the UK and North America.

Up until about the 1950s sometime, kids, for the most part, still learnt astronomy, detailed and in depth history, Latin, classic literature, proper grammar and spelling, cursive writing. Oh, I learnt cursive in primary school and in secondary school I had an outstanding history teacher. Yet, other than my secondary school math, geography, and science instructors, not forgetting that history nut, my instructors prior to university were pretty ho-hum.

I did have one English teacher that had passion, but she wanted to be all modern and cutting edge. Oddly, we did study Macbeth. However, instead of an in depth analysis, we put Macbeth on trial. In fact, I was the coroner who examined the wake of bodies left by his treacherous climb to power. I had to give evidence on the intent and manner in which the killings were done. Good thing I watched a lot of Quincy

I honestly did not like performing. I was wearing my favourite sweater and in those days I was a one layer kind of guy. I was so nervous, I was sweating profusely and I was certain everyone could see it coming through my jumper as I could feel it trickling down all over my body. They did not, but that was the last day I did not wear a t-shirt underneath whatever shirt or sweater I had on. For a while I even wore two t-shirts if all I was putting on was a t-shirt. Needless to say, I was not inspired to take up Shakespearean studies, even though in the end, I have studied no less than four of his works including his sonnets, as well as reading several plays just for the pleasure of it. I even have a penchant for collecting old Penguin editions of Shakespeare's works.


a sample of the editions i like

Anyway, back to my lament. Last night I was outside and the night was clear. I could clearly see the stars and a constellation stood out. At first, I thought: the big dipper looks weird. Then, no, I am facing in a southerly direction. I had no idea what it was and I was not going to pull out an app or look it up on the interweb. I did admire it for its simple beauty for some time though. My dad would have known what it was. I know my father-in-law would have known what it was. Why? Because they learnt it in school. 

Yeah, I know there are apps and the interweb for that and I can teach myself, and maybe I should, but I think it is sad such knowledge is not formally passed on in a basic education. The Scouts I work with will ask about constellations and I tell them the only one I know and can find easily is the Big Dipper. I used to be able to find Cassiopeia, but no longer. I should be able to help them with it as no one else is teaching it to them. Another thing to add to the list of stuff to learn I guess.

Proper literature. From what I can gather, the so-called classics are turned to less in school as the youth cannot allegedly relate to it. Split it up. Some classics and some modern tripe. Easy. Done. I was always amazed when I would see my parents quote from classic plays and literature, albeit Classic Polish plays and literature, but still classic and still amazing. The wife's parents as well would quote Shakespeare and classic English literature. It was not emphasised when I was in school. What do people of my generation, and those that follow me, quote? Film and television. At least we quote something I guess.

In the same vein, I have seen my parents and aunts and uncles, as well as the in-laws, break into song spontaneously. Old timey, classic songs. What do we sing, theme songs from tv shows, when they could bother to write words for theme songs.

Latin would have been nice too. It would have helped me a lot. Especially now as I study and learn about wild edible plants and am really getting in to gardening now. I could have studied it in secondary school, but I would not have been able to go to the school I did, which offered everything I wanted, but Latin. There were two choices. One, no way, I felt the people that taught and attended classes there were a bunch of pretentious snobs. Funny, that is where the wife actually went, and she did study Latin. She was even put up for an award. So, I guess they were not all snooty pretentious snobs. I still hate that school though. Choice two? It was actually very close to where my family moved to when I was in grade nine. No way was I going to that school. It had a horrible academic reputation. Hey, maybe I am snob? Nah.

There is so much more, but the point is, modernising curriculum does not always mean improving it. I think some of the idea is that youth need to make their own choices. In fact, Scouts Canada's official policy is "Youth Led". In my opinion, some people take that way to seriously and literally. Teachers, Coaches, Scouters (adult members of Scouts), and Instructors of all types are there to mentor, teach, guide, show, help youth. 

Frankly, sometimes youth do not know what they want or what maybe they should want. Some people may be offended by that. Frankly, again, bite me! What is the point of being there to help youth, if you are not going to help them. Sure, they have to make mistakes and bad choices sometimes. That does not mean we cannot pass on lessons learnt or plain honest facts and information. 

I have been working with youth for about three decades. With me, they have always had choices. Sometimes not the choices they want, but it is an adult's, including young adults, responsibility to teach them, help them, and keep them safe. Let them make mistakes that will not be costly or regrettable. Again, I do not think many people understand that. I have been a Scouter for over six years now and have worked with different age groups: 5-7 (Beaver Scouts), 8-10 (Cub Scouts) 11-14 (Scouts). In every age group I have worked with, the youth have always been able to make choices. The whole time I have been with this Scout Group, it has always been youth led in the Sections I have volunteered in, long before it was touted officially by Scouts Canada.

That does not mean five year olds are purchasing provisions for a stay at a camp. Nor does it mean twelve year olds are booking facilities and arranging transportation and travel documents. They work within their experiences and expand on them as they get older and learn more. And we teach them how to do the various tasks and help them grow.

My point? Sometimes people, particularly young people, do not have certain knowledge, skills, or experience to perform certain tasks, duties, or responsibilities. Or even to have certain kinds of fun and/or extracurricular activities. Sometimes, responsible adults have to ensure that youth gain those assets. Like learning astronomy, Latin, literature, cursive, planning and time management, and yes, even Shakespeare. Whether they, or we, like it or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment