pages

search the rooster

Sunday, March 05, 2017

the trail - follow-up

So, a quick summary of the trail exploits thus far.

I started hiking the Cedar Grove Trail in the Marlborough Forest this past Wednesday.

To my amazement, I went the following day.

Then miracle of miracles, I completed the hat-trick on Friday. Three hikes. In a row.

I went out Saturday as well.

I can hike this 4 km (2½ mi) loop in under an hour if I really want to. 

However, as everything begins to green, I will engage in more exploring, investigating spurs, and going further afield as it links to the Rideau Trail.

And no, it is not 2 km (1¼ mi) as everyone posts online. I think the Cedar Grove Trail proper, is roughly 2 km, but it is not a loop. To actually complete a loop, one needs to hike a short leg of the Rideau Trail.

I wonder how many people get confused over this.

What sucks too, is there are no decent maps online of the trail. There used to be one, but I can no longer locate it. I will eventually figure out how to create a decent one. I do have it mapped in My Tracks (by Google), I just cannot do anything with it right now.

Well, let me carry on.

Today, the greatest miracle.

I aced the trail. Five hikes. In a row.

The boy came too. His pace has greatly increased too.

It took us 1½ hours today. That is with not actually power-walking like I did after the first day. We also stopped several times so I could insert markers on the trail in My Tracks and we took a respectable break at the shelter.

So, as per my pledge, I am off to a good start. Most of the upcoming week is supposed to be mild, so I look forward to less ice, but not to the muck that will shortly be on the trail in the early spring.

Most every city has trails like this nearby, often within the city and accessible by municipal bus too. Everyone should be out at least once or twice a week to take advantage of this experience. If I can, so can anyone.

I cannot wait until I complete my first century. Cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment