pages

search the rooster

Thursday, March 30, 2017

footwear maintenance

I have always taken care of my footwear. My father taught me how to clean and polish my shoes. I then honed my skills in the army. Finally, I refined my technique as I learnt about other shoe care products.

It is really quite easy to take care of leather footwear. An application brush, polish, and a buffing brush. Those are the basics. You can also use various cleaners, my preferred choice is saddle soap. There are various waterproofing agents, many synthetic. The best are mink oilneatsfoot oil, and silicone derivatives. With these products a cloth is best. Shoe cloths are what I normally use, but an old flannel shirt works just as well.

So, why do I see so many people with horrible footwear. Scuffed all up and the toes bare of any protection, worn rough. In the winter or early spring, stained with salt and you can see the leather suffering.

Why? Because people are either uniformed at how easy it is or just plain lazy. Again why? Because people obviously would prefer to just toss their footwear after abusing it and getting another pair to start the process all over again.

Well, I am no millionaire, but I am a cheapskate. A good cheapskate knows when they need to spend a few bucks to save a lot of bucks. My leather footwear lasts and lasts. I still have a pair of shoes from over twenty years ago. Unfortunately, the soles are synthetic and cannot be repaired or replaced and I have finally worn them out. Being a cheapskate, and a bit of a hoarder, I am saving them. I actually have a plan for them to use on a trip as a backup pair that I can leave behind to make room for whatever I acquire on that journey.

Back to footwear care. So, I have several pairs of boots. I have been a bit derelict in keeping them clean and tidy. However, I have gotten back on track. It started in the Hammer. The boots I had been hiking with since the beginning of March had lost their waterproofing and the toes were scuffed up. I cleaned them with saddle soap, rubbed in liquid mink oil (there are paste and spray varieties too), then, after drying, polish is applied and then buffed. Easy peasy.

Yesterday, our Scout Troop was at a Sugar Shack (others often use the term Sugar Bush which is not quite correct and makes many people giggle), and it was quite muddy. I got my boots cleaned of mud easily, but the boys boots were something else. His boots are roughed out leather and cordura nylon. A different animal from all leather boots. I had to scrub them with a brush under running water to clean them. After rinsing them, I stuffed them with crumpled newspaper. A trick I learnt in the army. It helps them dry faster without heat, which can ruin leather, and to also keep their shape.

I also cleaned, and oiled my second pair of boots. I will apply polish and buff later tonight. That leaves me with two other pairs of boots I need to take care of right now. One, a traditional, climbing the Alps type, pair of boots. These will not get polish but something called: Leatherall 365. It is similar to dubbin, but actually will soak in to the boots as opposed to being greasy all the time.

The second pair are German paratrooper boots. I will wear them a bit on the trail to field test them. I have not hiked in them before. After a bit, I will go through my three stages of clean, oil , buff.

It really is so easy. I take my footwear seriously, so I do more than most people, but I do not need to constantly replace my footwear. I really do not understand why people want to waste money. If you have a pair of footwear you really like, spend a couple of shekels and take care of them. Even synthetics can be taken care of. They tend to not last as long as proper leather shoes and boots, but keep them clean, when necessary, run them under water and scrub and stuff with newspaper. They will be kind back to you.

Now, if they are getting stinky, fear not. You can apply various foot powders and antifungals to the boots to kill the smell and keep them fresh. I usually use Tinactin, but I am going to try a spray made for sporting equipment. My friend Denis uses it for his boy's hockey gear. If it works as well as it does on that stinky stuff as on the boots, oh momma.

One thing to remember, do not do this on the couch or where you have carpet. You may spill mink oil and when you apply polish and buff, little bits go flying. Oh yeah, do not wear your Sunday best for the same reasons.

So, save those boots or shoes you love. You can get what you need at any decent shoe store, cobbler, and even at most grocery stores. Step on it. Ha, ha, ha, ha ,haaaa.

tools of the shoe care trade

1 comment: