pages

search the rooster

Sunday, March 12, 2017

urban hike - hamilton

I missed my daily hike yesterday, which I have made part of my daily routine. I was too relaxed after my drive to Hamilton. I was not going to miss my hike today and I wanted to make up some for yesterday.

I decided to take an urban hike today. It was semi-boring, but I did get to see a lot of lovely little homes. I basically walked in a giant, narrow rectangle.

my route, very geometric

The advantage of hiking in an urban environment is that it is often level and smooth. It lets one determine their true solo pace. I tend to walk or hike faster on my own and I found it interesting that my pace was consistent throughout the entire jaunt. I checked the app often as I did not count out my pacing in my head and I have not been able to learn how to use pace beads. Something to add to the list of things to learn, again. I wanted to know the distance I was covering, so I used the technology at hand. Once I was moving, I was moving at a consistent 6.3 km/h (3.9 mph), whereas most people walk at a speed of 5.0 km/h (3.1 mph). 

The wife is constantly telling me to slowdown when we are walking together. The boy tends to take a little jog every now and again to keep up with me. Funny, I slow my pace for them, and most people, as it is. I guess I still walk pretty fast even when I slow myself down. This quick pace of mine probably stems from being in a Light Infantry Regiment, The Royal Hamilton Light Infantry. Light Infantry and Rifle Regiments have a faster marching pace than other regiments. When I transferred to a Highland Regiment, I was always feeling like I was standing still when marching with them.

So, level and flat. Constant pace. Sure, sounds wonderful. However, urban hiking or walking has a disadvantage. Cement and asphalt are hard surfaces. No give or flexibility. It is hard on your footwear. Harder still on your shins and calves. After about a klick-and-a-half, I could start to feel the strain on my legs. I know I have only recently returned to regular hiking, but I did not get the "burn" when I started on the trail. There are a couple factors why. Walking in a natural environment means everything is not flat and straight, which forcing ones gait to slow down. Also, the organic surface is kinder to the body. The ground gives when your foot impacts it.

Anyway, with all the advantages and disadvantages, I managed to walk 6.7 km (4.16 mi) in one hour and four minutes with an average pace of 6.26 km/h (3.89 mph). Not bad, but it would have been nice to have had better scenery and a route kinder on me and my boots.

good pace, good time, good burn-off of calories

I will seek out a trail within a reasonable driving distance in the next day or two. Perhaps I will go to my old trails at the escarpment near the north end of Upper Kenilworth and check out Buttermilk Falls. If any of those old trails still exist. It is not too far from where I am visiting. It will be interesting to see how things have changed from about two decades ago when I was last there.

No comments:

Post a Comment