pages

search the rooster

Monday, March 20, 2017

steel city surplus - hamilton

Steel City Surplus is awesome. I try to visit it at least once whenever I am in Hamilton. This is a terrific place for cheapskates like me.

the front door

They have all kinds of items for sale. Toiletries, school supplies, plumbing, electrical, automotive, various hardware, rope, workwear and some regular clothing, flags, mobile phone gadgets, fishing and camping gear. Currently, they even have some dehydrated camping food too. They also have seasonal items.

I know some of you are thinking it kind of sounds like a dollar store. It is not. It is better. Not everything is top-of-the-line and yes they do have some cheaper quality goods, but most everything is of reasonable to excellent quality. The cheap stuff is cheaply priced. Everything else, at least what I am interested in, is reasonably priced or better. Normally, when the whole family goes in we can be in there for half an hour or longer. Today, I was in there for about fifteen minutes.

I love checking out the fishing and camping section. They have mostly cheaper fishing gear, but when one forgets their tackle box or rod and needs a few lures and line to tide them over, one usually gets stuff to just fill in. This place is perfect for that.

The same goes for camping gear. They have little odds and ends, tent pegs, cheap walking sticks, even mosquito gear. I love the cast iron cookware. They have pans, griddles, and dutch ovens. Honestly, if I were camping in the area and I forgot to bring something or needed to add something to my gear, I would go here before Canadian Tire or a camping store.

Items that the family or I have purchased in the past include:

quality brand polarfleece toque
lures
cast iron griddle
camp lantern hanger
firestarter tabs (for emergency kits), super cheap
lip balm
dettol soap
rope, made in the USA
school supplies
mobile phone gadgets
lip balm
and so much more

Today I bought some more rope, to make painter lines for my canoes, some thinner rope for utility purposes, tarred nylon twisted dropline on a flat spool (unfortunately, they only had one at this time), a moleskin foot care kit (made in the USA), tent screen repair kit (I foolishly put a hole in one of my screens on one of my tents), a cheap knife for whittling for the boy (until I can refurbish one I got for him from a yard sale), a tailor's tape which is perfect for camping gear (there are many times I want to measure stuff in the bush, I do not know why), and some flagging tape as I cannot find the three or four rolls I have. I meant to grab a roll of duct tape, but forgot when I checked out.

my purchases today

This is another place to check out if you are ever in the area or need something cheap, but not cheap quality. And they are open seven days a week. They appear to be associated with K-W Surplus. They even have their own Facebook page. Check it out.

a one story unobtrusive building

No comments:

Post a Comment