pages

search the rooster

Saturday, March 25, 2017

conversations with total strangers

I took the boy to his HEMA training this afternoon and then I went to run a couple of errands. One of them was a trip to the LCBO. I was looking at the Canadian whisk(e)y that was available at this particular branch.

There was also another fellow who was in the aisle and he was sort of in front of the shelf I was trying to look at. No big deal. Yet, he apologised and got out of the way. We then got a little bit in the way of each other a couple of times. We were looking at the same products, so it was inevitable.

Me, I am usually the kind of guy who keeps to himself. This guy, he was somewhat more outgoing. He tentatively asked me a question about the Canuckian brown liquor. I answered honestly. We then proceeded to talk about whiskies for over twenty minutes as if we were old friends.

It was one of those unexpected pleasant moments. It was funny though, he was very interested in my opinion, or at least he was definitely very good at making a show of it. He also knew more about whiskies than he let on. To me, it appeared he wanted to learn about what other people thought. Then, it is often best to act more like a novice. 

Anyway, we talked and talked about various whiskies, Canadian, Scottish, American, and were having a good time. Then he suddenly apologised for taking up my time. Apparently, as he said, he does not have many opportunities to discuss whisk(e)y with others. Well, neither do I and I understood his position. And there was definitely nothing to apologise for.

We even talked about Davin de Kergommeaux and his book, Canadian Whisky, The Portable Expert. I have never been able to talk to anyone about this book. It is a fantastic addition to anyone's library, be it their interest lies in whisk(e)y, Canadian or otherwise, history, or just the arcane.

In the end, I steered him to buy a certain tipple and he me. We shook hands and parted ways. I have no idea who he was and I will likely never see him again. Yet, I count him amongst those friends made in the most unusual circumstances, usually linked by an unexpected commonality. I cherish these rare moments of serendipity, whenever and however they occur.

No comments:

Post a Comment