pages

search the rooster

Friday, September 22, 2017

episode 3 - revenge of the group commissioner

Now comes the gritty stuff. Yesterday will be mild compared to what started in April. The catalyst of my demise was a bottle drive, on Saturday 15 April 2017, to raise funds for our attendance to CJ17. When it was concluded we went to the local LCBO/Beer Store agent to turn them in for cash. It was not my idea to go there as we had been, wrongly, rebuffed before. For the details of that encounter see my earlier post. I also followed up with the LCBO and Beer Store in the matter and they confirmed, on Wednesday 19 April 2017, that the store/agent in question, was required to take the empties from our bottle drive, see this post.


Now that you have caught up reading the earlier posts, I will get in to the fall-out from that interaction. Scouter Palpatine responded the next day via email. He not only emailed all the Scouters who were present at the bottle drive, but also every Scouter on the Troop's email list, Scouts (i.e. youth, aka minors) and the parents, in addition to AC Milwaukee. Oh, yeah, also at least one person who was not an active member of Scouts Canada or any other Scouting organisation - what amounted to a private citizen who should never have been communicated with in this matter, was also included. I have no idea if other "civilians" were contacted as well, I would not be surprised though if they were.

Here is his email, with timestamp and the subject line of: 

Yesterday's Exhibition at Mulligan’s Parking Lot

16 April 2017 at 14:00 (about 24 hours, give or take, after the bottle drive)

At the conclusion of the bottle drive on Saturday, we knew ful well when we went to Mulligans that it was a long shot as the owner already advised us they don't accept bottle drives.

But we thought that we might give it a try and indeed the staff person confirmed to us that they wouldn’t take the bottles. It was not our intention to engage in a confrontation.

Your ensuing unfettered aggression towards the cashier at Mulligans was entirely inappropriate and unacceptable. You stepped way out of line.

While it may be frustrating that Mulligan's aren't more community minded; it is not for us to criticize and assume how Mulligans should run their business.

And it isn’t my business how you handle your private affairs and if you must, take up your battle with Mulligans you must do so on your own time out of scout uniform.

Your exhibition was a liability to ⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽ Scouts. This behaviour jeopardizes scouting in our community and will certainly not help in its acceptance in future. We are trying hard to build up our group not diminish it.

When you are representing ⍽⍽⍽⍽ you are representing all of us. We are all ‘continuous’ ambassadors of Scouts Canada, not just towards Mulligans but the entire community. We must be upstanding citizens at all times under all circumstances.

Furthermore, we will apologize to Mulligans for the treatment of their staff. If you won’t, then I will do so personally and in writing.


I suggest that you learn to control your emotions and outbursts. If this happens again, under whatever circumstance, we will have to find you a different role and you will not be entrusted with the role of scouter for ⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽.


Wow! Strong stuff. Too bad he remembered everything in only a negative manner of my deportment, which in my opinion was relatively civil, albeit firm and non-conciliatory, towards the store's employee. Odd, no mention of her derisive and rude treatment.

My response:

17 April 2017 at 12:02 (just under 24 hours of Palpatine's censure)

Scouter Palpatine:

I will do my best to address all your comments and concerns.

First and foremost, I am only responding to yourself and Scouter Milwaukee. Unlike yourself, as you obviously felt you needed to send your email to the entire Troop: Scouters, parents, Scouts, and at least one person who is not a member of the Troop, Group, or Scouts Canada. In addition to posting it to Google Groups.

You should have perhaps contacted me directly to express your concerns, opinions, and suggestions. We could have taken it from there. If you still felt it necessary to inform the entire Troop, and whomever else, you could have perhaps sent out a less inflammatory and public statement about the events that transpired at Mulligan’s Grocery on Saturday 15 April 2017.

Bear in mind, that as you have now placed your email in the public domain, you, and Scouts Canada or any of its representatives, no longer have any control or oversight over what may occur with that email’s distribution.


My responses follow.


Yes, I knew full well that it was a long shot that Mulligan’s Grocery would take our bottle drive returns. However, it was not my idea or suggestion to take the returns to Mulligan’s Grocery. If you recall, it was another Scouter’s suggestion.

No, it was not our, or my, intention to engage in a confrontation. However, when the employee of Mulligan’s Grocery opened the returns door, she was immediately confrontational, negative, and unsupportive.

I felt that that behaviour needed to be questioned. Unlike yourself, I did not see my response to her negative behaviour as unfettered aggression. However, everyone is entitled to their own opinions. I do not think I stepped out of line by questioning their flouting of their contractual obligations as a Beer Store Retail Partner and LCBO Agency Store. Please see the attached documents about their responsibilities as a Beer Store Retail Partner and LCBO Agency Store as well as this link. All of which clearly state they are required to accept empty wine, beer, and spirit containers. No exemptions are listed for bottle drives.

Thank-you for agreeing publicly that Mulligan’s Grocery is not very community minded. As to whether, we, as members of the community, are not entitled to criticise their not following their contractual obligations, I cannot agree with that.

Thank-you again for agreeing how I conduct myself as a private citizen is not your business. I will not engage in my private affairs on Scouts Canada time or in Scouts Canada uniform.

That my exhibition is a liability to the ⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽ Scout Group is your opinion. I cannot, at this time, comment on your opinion. Again, as to jeopardising Scouting in this community and its acceptance in the future, is again, your opinion, and I am, at this time, unable to comment.

Yes, we should be trying hard to build up our Group and not diminish it. Yet, recent actions by some Scouters appear to be contrary to that and are best discussed in another venue.

Yes, I see your point that, while I am in uniform and on Scouts Canada time, I am representing the ⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽ Scouting Group and all of its members. Yes, while fulfilling the above parameters, we are all ‘continuous’ ambassadors of Scouts Canada, towards, not just one business, such as Mulligan’s Grocery, but the entire community. And yes, while in Scout uniform or on Scouts Canada time, we all must be upstanding citizens at all times and under all circumstances.

If you feel an apology is necessary, that is your purview as the Group Commissioner of the ⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽ Scouting Group. However, I am not sure of what treatment of their staff you are referring to. I criticised Mulligan’s Grocery’s business practices and at no time did I disparage its employees.

As to my apologising as a Scouter in uniform, I will take that under advisement and respond to that shortly.

As to controlling my emotions and outbursts, that is a tall order. I pledge I will do my best going forward. If I can receive clarification as well to what is unacceptable, I will ensure I will comply with your demands of self-control and you will not have to find me a different role.


Now, my comments to your email.


Sending this email to not just myself, but other members of the Troop, Group and at least one person who is not a member of Scouts Canada, is inappropriate, unacceptable, and is backed by unfettered aggression to myself. Your attempt to embarrass and humiliate me publicly is unfortunate, mean, small-minded, cruel, and disrespectful. Greater diplomacy and respect on your part should have been your guide. As you, as Group Commissioner, are the guide of all the members of the ⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽ Scouting Group, including myself.

Furthermore, you can attack me personally, that is fine, I am a big boy. However, by including the people in the email that you did, embarrasses and disrespects my wife and son within the Troop, Group, and publicly. That is totally unacceptable, rude, and wrong. Your disagreement is with me and not my family.

Please consider, how can my son attend Scouting meetings and events without feeling embarrassed and belittled? How can he see and interact (with) anyone who has been exposed to this public email without feeling embarrassed and belittled? My son obviously does not have your respect and I fear this disrespect will filter to other members, Scouters, Scouts, and parents, of the Group and perhaps citizens at large.

As it is obvious you do not want me engaging in any comments or opinions, I am unable to carry on taking a lead on any Scouting meetings or events. To that, a replacement will need to be found to take the lead for the Rideau Challenge Journey that will be taking place on the weekend of 12-14 May 2017. I will participate, if I am allowed, but I will remain silent and follow whoever is the new lead for the event.

Also, I will be unable to continue planning and completing the necessary paperwork for the ⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽ Scout Troop Canada Jamboree 2017 Contingent, as I wish to avoid inflaming, offending, or disrespecting anyone. A new lead will need to be found. I presume I will still be allowed to participate as a “follower” Scouter. I would like your assurances that I will still be able to attend the Canada Jamboree 2017 in that capacity with the ⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽ Scout Troop Canada Jamboree 2017 Contingent.

Furthermore, I will not initiate any communications in any form, from this point forward as a Scouter with any Scouter, Scout, or parent/guardian of a Scout unless otherwise directed to do so by yourself or any other member of Scouts Canada in a position above mine and I agree that compliance is necessary. Except of course, to explain that this is now required of me.

Also, I will not engage in any communications as a Scouter in any form with anyone outside of the Scouts Canada organisation unless otherwise directed to do so by yourself or any other member of Scouts Canada in a position above mine and I agree that compliance is necessary. Except of course, to explain that this is now required of me.

It is apparent by your email and its content that you no longer wish me to remain with the ⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽ Scouting Group in any capacity. I pledge I will not engage in any behaviour, comments, actions, what have you, to inflame, offend, or disrespect anyone. I do ask though, that I have your assurances that I will be able to remain as a Scouter with the ⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽ Scouting Group within the Scout Troop until the end of this current Scouting year. By the end of the current Scouting year I will leave the ⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽ Scouting Group quietly and without ceremony.

As your email was within twenty-four hours of the events at Mulligan’s Grocery on Saturday 15 April 2017 and my reply to your email has been within twenty-four hours, I ask that you reply to this email within twenty-four hours with at least your response to my request for the above assurances.


Scouter Milwaukee:

If Scouter Palpatine does not reply within twenty-four hours, I request that you reply within twenty-four hours after that with a response to at least my request for the above assurances. Of course you may comment in any way you wish to Scouter Palpatine's initial email or my response.


Scouter Palpatine:

As your initial email included several people, other than yourself, Scouter Milwaukee, and myself, if you feel it is best my response should be sent to the original recipients of your email, I will forward this email to your original distribution. Let me know.



Respectfully and Yours in Scouting,

Richard Kaminski

first attachment
second attachment


Scouter Palpatine did not respond in the requested time so I fired off an email to Scouter Milwaukee, and CCed Scouter Palpatine:

18 April 2017 at 15:04

Scouter Milwaukee:

As Scouter Palpatine has elected to not respond yet, I hope you will address my response and requests that I have made to Scouter Palpatine's email within twenty-four hours.


Respectfully and Yours in Scouting,

Richard Kaminski


Miraculously, Scouter Palpatine replied to the above email within about 7 hours:


18 April 2017 at 22:05


Hi Rick, 

Sorry that I wasn't able to meet your scheduled request but it was a long day of meetings at work today. 

First of all I am very sorry for the anguish that this correspondence has caused "the wife" and "the boy" and for that I am again truly sorry. I will apologize to them both forth with. It was never my intent to cause harm and I certainly erred in that regard. 

Regarding the rest of your response I don't have the time now to address it. I trust you'll understand.


Palpatine


Boo hoo, he was busy. Who is not? He did apologise to the wife in person at a meeting, and she told him to not approach the boy. The boy knew what was going on; he was included in the first email.  But Palpatine had the nerve to blow me off in his response. Sorry, I did not understand his "reason". He took the time to crap all over my Easter Sunday dinner (figuratively). He could have at least had the decency to respond to me in a timely manner. But, that is Palpy. However, he did respond to my request in the end, sort of, two days after the initial kiss-off. However, he also could not help himself, but had to expand the circle of people involved in the matter and added a Scouter from the Council level to the distribution of the following email, when he is mentioned, he will be known as Scouter Cad Bane:


20 April 2017 at 14:32

Richard
I will begin by saying that I was always impressed by your organization and administration skills. You provided outstanding activity plans and preparations. That said however, your response on Monday puts me in a difficult position.

I do not feel secure having you in charge of youth as your methods create stressful situations for others.  Your criticism of Troop operations at our last group meeting has created considerable tension in our group. This makes it difficult for everybody to be effective and threatens the unity of the group. As such, I cannot in good conscience have you stay on as a volunteer with ⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽ and I will be removing your roles as a volunteer with the Group effective today. You will remain welcome as a parent to "the boy" but not in any other capacity.

Saturday’s incident was just one more which has convinced me that your involvement in the group is not conducive to the growth and development of other volunteers. 

While you exhibit outstanding skill in organization and administration this does not adequately compensate for the required leadership and interpersonal communication in the Group with youth.

I did offer you an opportunity to become Group Administrator and had honestly hoped that you would come forth and make a contribution in those areas where you are strong, but you have clearly refused.

I know how committed you are to scouts so I have continued to give you the benefit of the doubt since Brotherhood. However, recent actions on your behalf demonstrate an incompatibility with ⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽ Scouting.

This is not a termination of membership in Scouts Canada. You are still welcome to participate as a member in a different group, but I will be removing you of any roles and responsibilities in ⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽ Scouting.

If you have issues about my decision then I suggest that you take it up with Area.

Regards


Palpatine


I will say, Palpatine is an excellent spin master, also a practiced fabricator of fact. Below is my response, but not to Palpatine, as he had clearly stated he had washed his hands of the matter (kind of like Pontius Pilate, not that I claim to be the Second Coming, Jesus, or god-like) and was done communicating to me. I do believe it addressed all his concerns, responses, and decisions:


20 April 2017 at 23:48

Scouter Milwaukee and Scouter Cad Bane:

It was mentioned that I could follow up with Area concerning my dismissal from ⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽ Scout Troop. However, as he has included the Executive Director of Voyageur Council, I am including Scouter Cad Bane. I have not included Scouter Palpatine in this email as he has made full reference that he no longer considers himself to be involved in this matter.

I am grateful to Scouter Palpatine for his compliments about my organisational and administrative skills. That not withstanding, my response on Monday 17 April 2017 to his email dated Sunday 16 April 2017, which was sent to myself, the entire Troop, including parents and Youth, and at least one person who was not a member of Scouts Canada in any capacity, was done with all earnestness.

If I was not allowed to respond to said email, Scouter Palpatine should have been clear that his very public censure and derision of me was the end of the matter and I had no capacity to respond. However, in a civil and free society, discussion and rebuttal are normal.

As to my criticism of Troop operations at the last Group Committee meeting on Monday 03 April 2017, I did ask if Scouter Palpatine wanted to take it up during the meeting or privately as I presumed it was not necessary for non-Troop members to be involved. It was not my decision to discuss my concerns in the manner they had been.

I am confused that one is not allowed to discuss and question methods that Scouters utilise. Especially, as is known, since at least the beginning of the current Scouting year, that Scouter Palpatine and several other Scouters were critical of my administration of the Troop and at times openly hostile.

As is known, I voluntarily stepped down as Troop Scouter after the Troop meeting on Wednesday 09 November 2016 and Scouter Palpatine, Scouter Pong Krell, and Scouter Jar Jar decided to run the Troop as a collective, or ruling committee. Over time, I came to see the methods employed by the ruling committee as ineffective, lacking organisation, structure, planning, proper communication, and disclosure. I did not know that this ruling committee was not bound to the same critical review as I had been.

The unity of the Group was already threatened long before I voiced my opinion of the current state of Troop. I also hardly think my opinions have threatened the unity of the Group, as I advised Scouter Palpatine and all present at the above mentioned Group Committee meeting that no less than two Scouts were leaving the Troop as a result of the style of the ruling committee that took over Troop operations after 09 November 2016. There are in fact no less than six Scouts leaving Troop at the end of this year. If Scouter Palpatine would like to lay fault with me; I cannot make him think any differently.

I also offered, in writing, more than once, to discuss Troop with the “key three” of the Group Committee, headed by Scouter Palpatine, yet that offer was never taken up. I also brought up concerns with Troop operations as a parent; they too were dismissed by all members of the ruling committee.

Scouter Palpatine implied that I lack leadership and communication skills. Not liking my style and lacking skill are two different matters. Just as I questioned the ruling committee’s leadership and communication styles, the ruling committee had skills in those areas, but I personally felt they were not adequate. If he thought I needed improvement, perhaps Scouter Palpatine could have spoken with me, as I tried with him, or sought out resources within the Area and Council to coach myself and anyone else he thought could use some help.

If I had known my only choice to remain with the Group was to become Group Administrator, I would have taken the position for the sake of the Group. I did not refuse the position, I respectfully declined acceptance. The end result is virtually the same, but the civility is markedly different. Respectfully declining leaves the issue somewhat open, where refusal shuts it down completely.

Scouter Palpatine claimed he gave me the benefit of the doubt since Brotherhood (23-25 September 2016). However, as Scouter Palpatine only became Group Commissioner, by email declaration, on Tuesday 08 November 2016, or Monday 14 November 2016 (as many members of the ⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽ Scouting Group did not receive the initial announcement through error or omission), that implies that for at least six weeks before becoming the Group Commissioner he already had the intent to reorganise my status within the ⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽ Scouting Group.

Scouter Palpatine stated he had been monitoring my recent actions, would it not have been prudent to have a private conversation with me, offer me coaching, or some other manner of positive interaction. Scouter Palpatine kept referring in his email to multiple incidents and actions that have convinced him of my incompatibility with the ⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽ Scouting Group. Yet, at no time did he discuss these incidents or actions with me. What are these incidents and actions that so concerned him about me that he took no action?

In my response to his email of Sunday 16 April 2017, I offered to pull back and reduce my footprint in the Troop and Group to eliminate the chance of not meeting Scouter Palpatine's standards of deportment. I did ask to be allowed to remain with the ⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽ Scouting Group to the end of the current Scouting year. I promised to leave quietly and without ceremony. Apparently, my offer to humble myself was inadequate.

One other item I sought was to be able to remain with the ⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽ Scout Troop Canada Jamboree 2017 Contingent. Scouter Palpatine's action in regards to my status as a Scouter impedes that. I am sure that he has already organised another Scouter to take my place to meet the ratio requirements.

Bearing that in mind, there are several issues related to Canada Jamboree 2017 that Scouter Palpatine should consider. My truck was to transport gear and tow the Group trailer to the Jamboree. I am sure it is not so very difficult to secure another vehicle to replace mine. However, I have also made several arrangements that have been booked under my name, some of which have been secured by myself financially. I will be unable to maintain liability of any kind, financially or otherwise, if I am to not participate. That has placed at least vehicle and accommodation bookings at risk. Scouter Palpatine's decision not only concerns the ⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽ Scout Troop, but also the ⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽ Scout Troop and the ⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽ Scout Troop.

Scouter Palpatine also mentioned Youth safety. I too have the same resolve. To that, several parents have approached me in regards to several events and activities the ⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽ Scout Troop have been involved in and have informed me that if I were not present, or certain other Scouters were not present, they would not allow their Youth to participate. Scouter Palpatine's lack of confidence in me does not concern me, as we should be concerned with the Youth and the parents having confidence in all of us as Scouters, mentors, guides, and protectors of their children. I have always put the Youth first.

I am not sure why my private response to Scouter Palpatine's public and zealous censure of me has concerned him. I did the courtesy of responding, in a timely manner, to his statements as evenly as I possibly could. I also did so quietly by only including the Area Commissioner, Scouter Milwaukee, who was included in the original email. When I asked for the same treatment in kind, he ignored my response. When I asked Scouter Milwaukee to address my response, Scouter Palpatine eventually came back with a curt reply as to why he did not return the courtesy.

When Scouter Palpatine finally responded to my email, three days later, he did not address my response. He continued to cite long-term misconduct that, if it ever happened, he has never brought it up with me previously. He also stated that if I have issue with his decision, to take it up with Area, implying he was done with the matter. I suspect he deliberately elevated this to the Council level, by including the Executive Director, in the hope that I will be unable to secure a new Scouter position anywhere within Voyageur Council.

To close, Scouter Palpatine posed an ultimatum that if I repeated my actions, which were not as egregious as he made them out to be, of Saturday 15 April 2017, that I would be found another role outside of the ⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽ Scouting Group. He should explain to everyone how I have done this since this past Saturday, as I only responded to his email and did not engage in or attend any Scout meetings, events or activities.  Otherwise, I truly do not understand his sole and independent decision, as far as I am aware, to remove me from the ⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽ Scouting Group.

I am still willing to work this out. However, I do not believe that Scouter Palpatine will take any action to work with me in any way. Nonetheless, I have been advised of other situations where he has worked with other Scouters to improve their performance and deportment.

Scouter Milwaukee and Scouter Cad Bane, I would like to please have responses from both of you in regards to Group Commissioner Scouter "Emperor" Palpatine's correspondence and decisions.


Respectfully and Yours in Scouting,

Richard Kaminski



N.B. The entire content of any email, including this one, 
that I, Richard Kaminski, send or draft, remains my, 
Richard Kaminski's, intellectual property, for any use I, 
Richard Kaminski, see fit in perpetuity. Cheers. 
Oh yeah: All rights reserved © 2017 Richard Kaminski.​
(I started including this note in my email correspondence at about this time)


I did get a response from Scouter Milwaukee:

22 April 2017 at 20:32

Hello Rick,

Cad Bane is the Council Executive Director, currently serving as ⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽ Area Support Manager.

The reason the decision was made to remove you from the group was a demonstrated incompatibility of your communication and leadership style, and that of other volunteers. Palpatine and I spoke at length about your involvement in the group, and we came to the decision to remove you as a volunteer from ⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽.

Cad Bane, Palpatine and I are aware of the work you've put into planning and preparing for CJ. We will be following up with you in the next couple of weeks to discuss future needs and responsibilities for the trip after speaking with the other volunteers.

For the time being, I respectfully ask you keep your discussion of this matter between the people you already know to be aware.

Regards

Milwaukee
⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽ Area Commissioner
Scouts Canada


Okay. There were a couple of more emails, and then everything more or less ended, except for my still helping my former Troop with their CJ17 preparations. Here are the last two emails. The first from myself:


24 April 2017 at 09:49

Milwaukee:

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. It was a very busy weekend. The soapbox derby was fantastic again this year. Another amazing crash as well.


Thank-you for your response. It is unfortunate that I could not be involved in the dialogue over my status as a Scouter with the ⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽ Scouting Group. It is obvious the decision is final.

As such, I presume my outstanding Commendations and Medal for Good Service will be forwarded to me.

My address is:

Richard Kaminski
Blah
Blah
Blah
Blah


Respectfully,

Richard Kaminski


Milwaukee's response:

24 April 2017 at 10:56

Glad you had a fun time at the soapbox derby. I believe Palpatine and I will find an appropriate time to give you the certificates of commendation and medal. Although you have been asked to step away as a volunteer with this group, that does not negate the dedication and service you gave to the group. 

I will work with Palpatine to determine the best way to get the recognition to you. 


Milwaukee
Area Commissioner- ⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽ Area-Voyageur Council 
Twitter: @⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽


So, that is where everything stopped. It took seven days, twenty hours, fifty-six minutes to all transpire from the first email to the last. A friend collected my outstanding awards for my service to Scouting. There was no way I was going to give Emperor Palpatine an opportunity to try to humiliate me in public.

Also, he never removed me from the roles I had in that Scout Group. My new Group Commissioner, who is a great GC and terrific Scouter, did so when I officially became a member of that new Group on Thursday 04 May 2017. The boy and I went to CJ17 with a Scout Group from Nova Scotia and Girl Guides from Scotland; this occurred by the efforts of the wife and another terrific Scouter in charge of registration for CJ17. I actually ran in to Emperor Palpatine at least three times at CJ17; we were both civil to each other, we may even have shaken hands, I do not recall for certain though.


So, I have a few points to address and questions. First, Cad Bane never replied to my request. Personally, I find that unprofessional. Especially if he was also our Area Service Manager. This position is to support Scouters working in their local Groups. I asked for help, yet he ignored me. So, now as far as I am concerned, regardless of whatever position Cad Bane has in Scouts Canada, he has no right or privilege to communicate with me in any way, until he officially follows up in this matter. In officially, I mean in writing and reply to my request. I had no idea he was my Support Manager until after I was told by Milwaukee. I never met him or communicated with him in any way. Really, I still have not. Thanks for the support Cad!


The questions:

If I was such a lousy Scouter and poor at interacting and communicating, why did Palpatine offer me the job of Group Administrator? I would have to communicate and interact, in addition to administrating.

If I was such a lousy Scouter and poor communicator and leader, why did Area Commissioner Milwaukee, more than once, offer me the job of Deputy Area Commissioner - Troop? I would have to communicate and lead and there would be all kinds of interacting with Scouts and Scouters and probably parents. I turned the position down as I felt I still had much to do with , now my old, Troop and Group. I explained my plans to become more of a background and support Scouter in a year or two to both Milwaukee and Emperor Palpatine on several occasions.

If I was such a lousy Scouter, why did others put me in for Commendations and a Medal for Good Service? Which I received, and which Emperor Palpatine only very recently entered in the Scouts Canada database to be officially recognised. (Actually, it was probably someone else who finally did it, so thanks, whoever you are.)


Personally, I believe I was the victim of a witch-hunt, but I do not know the reasoning behind it. The only explanation I can come up with is that Emperor Palpatine, with the help of his minions, wanted to brand the Group in his own image and to remove people who he felt threatened his authority and intentions. This happens time and again in the workplace when small-minded people gain authority over others who do their jobs very well. If someone can convince me otherwise, please do so.

I also believe that he is being groomed to become the next Area Commissioner of my old Area. That is why AC Scouter Milwaukee backed that horse in this "race" through to its unfortunate and ridiculous conclusion. You see, ACs normally have a term for three years. Milwaukee is now in her fourth year of that three year term, if my math is correct. Sometimes, those terms are extended by a year, even occasionally two. Why would she be hanging on when she could work in another position and work on new projects, also knowing she has to depart from her current slot very soon? 

I will tell you why, so Emperor Palpatine can complete at least one full year in the slot of GC and perhaps be put on some advanced training. Well, I hope the universe keeps an eye out for my old Area, because the Emperor only has a few panels left to put on that big round ball thing with the powerful laser that lays waste to everything in its path. This time Rogue One cannot help, or is it One Giant Rube (I am referring to myself), cannot get the plans to the right people to stop this impending doom, the Rube tried and failed. (Cool, I got another Star Wars title in to the mix.)

Well, I guess there is no accounting for taste. blbbl

[N.B. Is this the end of our deluded hero's tale? Or will someone or something "Strike Back"? I hope not, I am running out Star Wars titles to homage. Cheers!]

No comments:

Post a Comment