pages

search the rooster

Thursday, September 21, 2017

rumble before the storm - the @$$ clown wars

Continuing from yesterday, the second year with Troop began well enough. The only real ripple was trying to organise plans to attend the national Canadian Scout Jamboree (CJ17) that would be held in July.

Attempts were made to involve the Scouts, who were enthusiastic, and the parents, who were largely reserved. Understandable, as it was expected that the total cost travelling to and from the Jamboree and attending the event itself could be as much as $1500 per participant, youth and adult. Before we had concluded the previous year, perhaps as many as nine or ten Scouts and at least three Scouters were interested in going. Meetings held in the summer yielded little in results and then the new Scouting year began.

In the meantime we began rolling forward with the year's program. We planned for and attended Brotherhood. A somewhat archaic sounding name, but historical, with the meaning of commonality and camaraderie. Also, early in the year, I gave my annual "I am a dick" speech. My name at CJ17, from the moment I stepped through the gates of the camp, was actually Scouter Dick. A diminutive form of my first name and also an indicator of my disposition if need be.

This speech essentially informs the Scouts, and Scouters, that we will go to great lengths to accomplish whatever they, the youth, want to in their Scouting journey. There are caveats. If it is not a very Scouty activity, do not count on it happening. If it is illegal or against Scouts Canada's policies, do not count on it happening. If related risks cannot be reasonably mitigated, or if it is just far too dangerous, do not count on it happening. If the Scouts' and Scouters' skill sets do not match up to the desired activity, do not expect it to happen; unless, of course, you build your skills to be able to accomplish it. If it is beyond our financial means, do not expect it to happen. Above all, we, as Scouters, are there for the Scouts. We are a democracy, they largely choose their own program. However, we, the Scouters, in the end have the final say. If any of the above caveats cannot be overcome, then we have to move on to other activities.

In the end, as I was Troop Scouter, I had the ultimate final say. Regardless if even every Scouter stood against my decision. We, as adults, are responsible for these youth. I am responsible for every decision and action made, not only by the youth, but also be my fellow Scouters. I am responsible ultimately for everything, legally and morally. So, I told them in the course of this speech, that at times it will appear that I am being a dick, but there are reasons some activities are pursued and why some are not. They may not understand all the reasoning behind it, but not one single decision, made by myself, was out of malice or pettiness.

This is how I learnt to operate when I first joined the Colony, and I how operated ever since. The start of this Scouting year was also when Scouts Canada began an entirely new methodology to Scouting. It was called the Canadian Path. The battle cry was: Youth Led. Really, nothing changed for me. I had been involved in youth led programming since I joined the Scouting movement. However, with this "new" method, they changed the superstructure of Scouting. The old Scout handbooks were removed from the program and a foldout pamphlet replaced it. Personally, I found it inadequate, as did other Scouters.

In addition, I had taken advanced training the previous summer. it was called Woodbadge II Troop. This was my third WBII course. I had taken it for Colony and Pack as well. You learn a lot, not just from the instructors, but also from your fellow "instructees".  there are caveats to taking advanced training. Scouts Canada is full of caveats, like most organisations. One must complete the basic WBI course for the relative Section and also be in that Section for a minimum of one year. My first WBI, I was with Colony for three years. My second WBII, I was with Pack for nearly three years. WBII Troop, I was with Troop for only one year.

As to taking a WBII course, I do agree you should be in the Section for at least a year. However, I also strongly believe one should be a Scouter for at least two years before one can take any advanced training. Why? Because to be honest, as a Scouter, you are still learning the ropes after only one year and I do not think one gets the most out of training they could that soon in one's Scouting career.

Case in point, the Scouter who joined the Troop who had never been in Scouting took the WBII Troop course with me. He had only been scouting from September through June by the time we took the training. I am not one to deny anyone the opportunity to take training so I never said anything. Well this Scouter, let us call him Scouter Palpatine. Well, Scouter Palpatine embraced the concepts of the "new" Canadian Path and this "brand new" concept of Youth Led.

To be honest, Palpatine harped on it all through the first year in Troop. I expressed certain reservations, such as the elimination of the Scout handbook and the general superstructure rebuild. I also, repeatedly explained that we were always youth led. It just varied based on the Section , the experience, and knowledge the youth had. Sometimes they would do most of the work for an activity, sometimes they would do little. I never expected a minor to organise a vehicle convoy, or to go alone and acquire all the provisions for an outing.

Yet, Palpatine continued to be the herald of this "new" program. I knew he was not going to get as much out of this advanced training as he might if he waited an extra year and got some more experience in the trenches. Sadly, we were part of the same workgorup all through the course. I came to loathe the phrases: Canadian Path and Youth Led. Oddly enough, others did too. Not so oddly, to a Scouter, all the trainers and trainees, stated they were already on the Canadian Path and running youth led programs long before it was placed in the official canon of Scouts Canada.

Never us mind. I discovered long before this course that once Palpatine decided something was so, then that was it and he was incapable of hearing anything else. Sadly, this outlook would come to haunt me over and over. And over.

We had discussions on what "The Path" meant as well as what does Youth Led really mean. Well, all of us, sans one Scouter, pretty much agreed that the program being led by youth meant that we encouraged them to accomplish as much as possible on their own with guidance, mentoring, encouragement, and assistance from the Scouters. We also agreed, sans one, that there are limits to Youth Led and that we need to recognise that and step in where these gaps existed. Not that we just take away the plan from the youth, but help them understand and learn how to complete that task hopefully the next time, or at the very least in the near future.

That being said, again, there are things kids cannot do. They cannot rent a vehicle. Normally they cannot book a facility, as they have no credit cards. To be honest too, the last thing I want is a couple of inexperienced kids plan and acquire provisions, particularly food, for a multi-day event to find out we have only half as much food needed for twice the price it should be. That is where passing on our knowledge and skills come in. Palpatine did not really get it. I still think he does not.

Fast forward to September. The Brotherhood was in NY State that year, so all the Scouts and Scouters needed passports, other various documentation, and so on. This is in addition to planning and outfitting. Again, planning began the previous year as this event comes up after only a few weeks of returning from the summer. Remarkably, some parents did not follow through with fulfilling all the requirements. Hell, one Scouter did not even bother doing it either. We will call him Scouter Jar Jar.

Anyway, as this is so early in the year and advanced planning can only do so much, a lot falls to the Scouters to get things done. Some decisions were made without consultation with the youth. Like, we will buy our groceries on the US side; the last thing I want is any fresh produce or meat being seized at the border or spoiling if there are undue delays. I also drew some funds from our account and converted it to US cash. No one thought of that. 

Anyway, all the rest of the gear squared away, convoy sorted, blah, blah, blah. Too easy, right? Yup. Right from departure, actually, just before, things began to go slightly sideways. Jar Jar shows up with a canoe. Really? We will most likely not have time for that, plus the only water near us will be a pretty busy channel of the St Lawrence Seaway, and I thought it was understood already that we were not bringing canoes. This will come back to bite me in the ass as you will see.

I gave verbal instructions before we left on our route twice, which had also been forwarded in writing. Our four vehicle convoy set off. My vehicle and the others were pointing one way and Jar Jar's another. I said we will tee-up right after our one and only traffic light in town to ensure we stick together. We got to the light and Jar Jar, who should have been there first, was nowhere to be seen. Right away, I was pretty sure he went to the highway a different way. I call the wife, who saw us off, yup he went the other way. We try calling him and the other Scouter in the vehicle, no dice. 

The rest of us set off and my co-pilot finally reaches the other vehicle. My guy tells Jar Jar's co-pilot where to heave too on the highway so we can stay in convoy. What do you think Jar Jar did? Yup, he just kept driving. We see him in the distance, he is barrelling down the road. Oh yeah, not only does he have the canoe on his roof, he is towing some dinky trailer. Not sure why as I have a huge trailer with all the gear and there was tons of room for whatever crap he had in there.

So, we are keeping an eye on him, so as to not lose him again. Then he slows down, and as we almost catch up, he speeds up. Then slows down. Finally, I get in front. I was supposed to set the pace. At some point he passed me once or twice and then falls behind. I had no idea what he was doing. We had prearranged a pitstop at the last highway gas station before going to the border, to fuel up and reconnect if we got separated. By this time, Jar Jar was lagging and we were not sure he would stop. Luckily he did, but for some reason, parked on the other side of the parking lot.

I went over to talk to him, but he was nowhere to be found at first. Everyone was sent off to pee and get drinks and snack if they wanted. Back in fifteen. Eventually, I see jar Jar. He is mucking about, chit-chatting, and generally horsing around. I attempt to approach him discretely, and find out what happened. He basically got confrontational from the start. He said he set off in the direction we agreed upon. False. He said he received no instructions to link up on the highway. False. Then he starts to go on how the canoe kept shifting. I stated, first he was not supposed to bring it in the first place, and asked why did he not stop on the highway to resecure it? Well, apparently it was too dangerous to stop on the generously wide, paved shoulder of the highway. Really? And it was not dangerous to drive with an improperly secured canoe. Then he started to lay in to me.

I told him I was of half a mind to send him home and get a replacement driver. The wife, who if you recall was a Scouter in the Group as Treasurer and is now in the new Group, was actually standing by. I had arranged with her to be available, because, honestly we did not have enough vehicles lined up until the day we departed. She agreed in advance to be ready to step in and step up. Her only stipulations were that she would be a driver and then stay in a hotel for the weekend during the camp. No worries, our Scouts Canada ratio was well met.

Anyway, I should have sent him home, but I did not. Also, during this whole time we were stopped at no point did Jar Jar attempt to correct his cargo on the roof. i called him on that. He then proceeded to pretend to resecure his canoe. Again, I should have sent him home. Fast-forward a bit. The next day after camp was set up, he was checking his trailer and realised he did not bring paddles or PFDs. What an ass clown. The canoe stayed on his roof the whole time.

Back to the moment. We proceeded again in convoy, not without issues, but better than the first leg. We cleared the border, got to camp, and began setting up to beat dusk. I made quick decisions to save time from humming and hawing. We had some dry goods for supper. I left instructions to ensure there was enough for everyone to have more than enough food. Including myself and fellow Scouter, lets call him Gree, to eat when we came back from getting the rest of the groceries for the weekend and firewood.

Gree and I set off, did our chores, and came back to no food. Well, actually one small bowl of soup. For some reason, Scouter "Ackbar" who was to organise the Scouts to make supper, which would have had plenty for seconds, was muscled out by Palpatine and Jar Jar, yes good ol' Palpy was there to. So, Palpatine and Jar Jar greatly reduced how much food was prepared, so that the everyone was still hungry. 

At this point, my appetite left me altogether from frustration, I did not eat. Gree had what was left of the soup and and he and Ackbar arranged snacks for everyone. I got a campfire going, incidentally, where Jar Jar wanted to set up the kitchen. Yes, he wanted to set up the kitchen over a firepit, in a small copse of trees. He was pissed with me, even though everything was laid out. He said I put the kitchen by a cliff. Yes, there was a drop off, but I told them the area, they put it "by the cliff", not me. What an ass clown. Also, he bitched because the equipment trailer was so far away from the kitchen. Really? It was about 25-30 metres away. Big deal. The trailer was put in its location to define our site's outer boundary.

The next day was so super awesome. Tons of activities lined up, as well as the opportunity for some major badge trading. First breakfast. One patrol, a sub-unit of the Troop, would cook and the other would clean up after the meal. It was bacon and eggs and toast and fruit. I was giving instruction to some of the Scouts as they had never really cooked breakfast before. Normally, we avoid bacon because it can be a giant pain in the ass for larger group. So, I was teaching them the method the wife and I use for bacon. Put some, but not a lot of bacon in the pan at first. While it heats up the fat melts and greases your pan. It does not take long and then do your bacon in batches, draining the fat as necessary. They were doing a fine job after the initial instruction. Well, Palpatine thought it was not good enough or too slow or both. He goes in the cooler grabs a pack of bacon, even though there was an adequate amount out and ready to go, cuts it wide open and dumps it in the pan. Awesome. Now, the Scouts were basically boiling bacon in a couple of inches of fat. My appetite was not returning now. So much for Youth Led.

Everything was more or less fine after that, for now. Everyone was set loose after the opening ceremony and given instructions as when to return for lunch and the Patrols would switch jobs in the kitchen. Lunch came around and the Patrol on cooking detail was nowhere to be found. So, the other Patrol started preparing lunch. The other Patrol had trickled in and they were informed, at least once, that they should be cooking, a couple stepped up, but the rest must have figured that that there were enough people making lunch. Well, Palpatine comes up to me and tells me that I should make them come and make lunch. Really? This from Mr. Youth Led. I informed him that that they were already told and if they chose not to make lunch, no problem, they would eat last and do clean up again.

A little background on how meals were normally done. One Patrol would cook, one Patrol would clean up afterwards. Now, the Patrol cooking still does basic cleanup to prevent a hard time for the final washing up. All the other Scouts eat first. Starting with the newest members of the Troop, up to senior Scouts, then Assistant Patrol Leaders, then Patrol Leaders. Finally, when all youth have had their meal (including those cooking), Scouters would eat, with the Troop Scouter last. If there is enough for seconds, then Scouts get first crack, then Scouters. If there is still food leftover and anyone is still hungry? Go for it. Everyone gets the same amount on the first round, no one gets extras. Seconds are usually the same or a bit less. Thirds, whatever you think you can handle. My rule, if you put it on your plate, it goes in your gob and you eat it. No food will be thrown out. Some failed to follow this. Boy they are always surprised when they have to finish their greedy plate loading.

Well, Palpatine would have none of this initiative by the Patrol to step up. He rounded everyone up and put them in the kitchen. Okay fine. An opportunity for a lesson in life was lost. Well, there was another one. They were making grilled cheese. Again, some words of wisdom on keeping an eye on the food cooking so as not to burn the sammies. Well, one Scout went off to fart around with something that had nothing to do with lunch. I cautioned him about burning the food. He did anyway. It was pretty black. I told him that was his lunch. He looked at me. Too bad buddy. You let it burn, why should someone else suffer your negligence.

Well, Jar Jar, who was his father too, took the burnt sandwich and ate it. Another lesson lost. However, he just broke the cardinal rule about the order of eating. He ate before the youth. A huge no no with me. In fact, he had already eaten a sandwich, plus a whole bunch of other food. Nor was he around to help supervise lunch. He proceeded to continue out of turn and stuff himself. I kid you not. It was piggish, selfish, and rude. I certainly did not get my appetite back.

What I learnt shortly afterwards, why Palpatine was slow off the mark ordering the Scouts around for lunch. He was napping! In fact, so was Jar Jar! Really?! So, lunch was done and time to clean up. The Patrol that had started cooking, had to wash up. One guy from the other Patrol did help out, but they somewhat got shafted. Plus, the Patrol that finished cooking left everything a mess. Some Scouts were pretty pissed. Well, I guess they probably learnt something.

The rest of the day was not so bad. Supper time came around. It was decided that the Scouters, mostly me and Scouter Chewbacca (one of our young lads), would make supper. Some of the Scouts from the breakfast cooking detail just started helping. They did not mind. So, I took the opportunity to show them my method for pasta and sauce. You know, how not to burn your sauce, how not to overcook the noodles or have the pot boil over. I taught them that when the sauce is emptied from the jar or can, splash a little water in it and swish it to get every bit of goodness. Also, add some olive oil to the sauce, it improves the flavour and makes more sauce. They were cutting up onions and peppers and in the end I was not doing much. Then came the pasta. We were making a lot. A huge pot and it is tough to get the heat right. Too easy to have the heat too low or too high, especially on a propane burner. So, I was about to teach them how to prevent boiling over as was about to happen. I asked Chewie to grab some cold water. I brought the lads around and as the pot was about to boil over I was going to show them that adding just  touch of water can help control the boil. Well, I never got the chance. Palpatine grabbed a bottle of canola oil, yes canola not something often associated with pasta, and poured a bunch in to stop the boil over. He was so proud of himself. I think if I did not grab the bottle and tip it up he would have poured half of it in. I said he was going to ruin the pasta. That I was about to show the Scouts how to control it. How, other than the pasta the only other thing that goes in the water is some sea slat. So much for Youth Led

I should have realised he may have been somewhat confused as he had just woken up from another nap. Well, no appetite again. In fact, except for few a chips and a couple of pickles, I did not eat for about two-and-a-half days. Anyway, we rode out the weekend with me mostly pissed off and grumbling. Gree actually gave me crap in the form of a lecture, on the drive back, and later. He was right, I agreed. I should have been more neutral. At a meeting shortly after Brotherhood I admitted to the Scouts that I realised I was not very Scouty at times on that weekend and pledged to endeavour to be as Scouty as possible in the future.

Shortly after Brotherhood we also had a Scouters' planning meeting. In the end it was myself, Jar Jar, and Pong Krell, the Scouter I recruited the previous year. I came to the meeting with a plan. A plan that had been discussed with the Scouts. The idea was to have mini-camps, hopefully every month, where the Scouts would plan, stock, and execute everything. No help from us. Youth led right? However, as I said, mini-camps. We could go out Friday night or Saturday morning and stay through Sunday morning. It would all be local, so resources and safety would be quick to hand if necessary. Plus we would have a trailer full of gear.

This way, if anything was forgotten or not planned for, it could be quickly rectified. I was certain some groups would pack a stove but no fuel; pack fuel but no stove; forget water (in my entire time with this Scout Group, in all our planning, not once did the Scouts say: "Hey, we need water!" until I actually pointed it out to them); not plan for enough food. What have you. The more resourceful would learn to wheel and deal with the other teams. Failing that, we would have backups of everything, so as to not ruin the weekend. At the end we would review what went right and what went wrong, where things could be improved, etc. I thought it was brilliant. I had even started to line up locations nearby with the help of some Scouts and Scouters.

Even though everyone knew this was the plan, it evolved from this to a heavily micromanaged mini-canoe camp. I suggested we could do that in the spring, while they cut their teeth first on solid ground. Well, no. Okay, fine. Then there was all this I cannot do it this weekend and I cannot do it that weekend. So, the date chosen was to accommodate Jar Jar and no one else. No matter what I suggested, no way. I basically compromised on everything. Not much choice when I had virtually zero support from these guys. At some point the discussion turned to Brotherhood. Jar Jar started calling me down. I pointed out his failings too: the canoe, the erratic driving, the napping, the gorging at meals. I told him he cared not for the youth at all. He lost it. I began to leave and he followed me and kept building up his head of steam. I tried to quickly talk to Pong, then I saw Jar Jar barrelling towards me. I was certain he was going to make a go for me. I already figured out where he would land on the ground, more than once if necessary. Suddenly he stopped and just yelled, almost nonsensically at me. Finally, I managed to extricate myself and left.

Yeah. This was going to be a banner year. No real support from some of these guys, countering my suggestions constantly, no help for CJ17 from the Scouters who said they wanted to go, not replying to communications already too. Gree told me as well that he was leaving and would only help in a very part-time capacity, he was gone before September was done. And now a near fistfight!

Right after, I contacted my Area Commissioner, Scouter Milwaukee. This is the content (with timestamp):


4 October 2016 at 21:32

Tonight's planning meeting was less than stellar.

I think we need someone from Area or Council, not sure where this exactly falls, to come and explain to all the Scouters (including me) what is expected of us by Scouts Canada and what our responsibility is to the youth. It will need to be on a Wednesday night.

YIS,

RKR


Twelve hours later I sent her another email (sensitive information will be redacted and names changed to protect the treacherous and apathetic, even the occasional innocent):


5 October 2016 at 09:28

I have come to a difficult decision.

I will be stepping down as Troop Scouter for the ⎹⎹⎹⎹⎹⎹⎹⎹⎹⎹⎹⎹⎹⎹⎹⎹⎹⎹⎹⎹ Scout Troop Section.

It has become evident that several parties within the Troop are dissatisfied with my overall leadership as Troop Scouter. In fact, to my shame and embarrassment, I have lost control of the Scouter Team.

I will remain with the Troop as a Scouter, unless the new Troop Scouter feels that my remaining would be an obstacle or burden. If that becomes the case, I will seek a position with another Group.

The transition should be made as soon as possible, so that the new Troop Scouter can keep the Troop running smoothly and efficiently.


As I am stepping down from the position of Troop Scouter, I can no longer vouch for the ⎹⎹⎹ Troop's intent to host or organise several Area events that I, as Troop Scouter, declared intent to take on.  Those events include: Klondike Derby; Scout Trucks; Outdoor Skills Training. I would like to retract the offer, but the new Troop Scouter may very well want to carry on with them. However, it is no longer my decision.

I am sure there will be great relief within Troop for the change.


I do not want to influence the selection of the new Troop Scouter, but I would like to put forward my recommendation.

The new Troop Scouter should either be Scouter Jar Jar or Scouter Palpatine.

Both Jar Jar and Palpatine have a great many ideas on what Troop should be doing and how it should be done.


I ask for only two things. First, that I am allowed to maintain Scoutstracker for Troop. Second, I would appreciate if I could make the announcement to the Section (Scouts, parents, and Scouters) and Group of my stepping down and then the appointment of the new Troop Scouter as my last official acts. Please let me know when I can make these announcements.

I would like to thank you for all the guidance, support, and advice you, as our Group Commissioner and Area Commissioner, have given to me as Troop Scouter and look forward to further amicable relations.


I await your response.


We talked on the phone and not much was really resolved at that time; she was out of town. I continued to organise various activities and such. One was actually offered by Gree, teaching the youth about allergies and epi-pens. Jar Jar opposed it, quite vehemently and offered games as a replacement for those that would opt out?!?!? No one opted out, not even his kid. This was his countering anything I was supportive of. What an ass clown.

This is also when I started to be left off of email communication. The wife and the boy were still getting them and they kept forwarding them to me. To her credit, Milwaukee asked if I thought it was deliberate. Some, at the time, like Pong Krell, I said no, but Palpatine, definitely yes. However, looking back, accidental or not, it kept happening so I think I was left off deliberately every time to make a point.


19 October 2016 at 13:17

Hi Rick, 
I noticed that you weren't copied on the below email. Is that intentional? Has there been any updates to where we left things a few weeks ago before I left town? I am back now and happy to talk if you need to provide an update. 
Copying in "the wife" because she brought to my attention that you weren't copied on a different group email. 

Thanks, 

Milwaukee


My response:


19 October 2016 at 14:21

The one from Pong Krell appears to be accidental. 

The one "the wife" forwarded to you, was from Palpatine for an activity he organised at his woodlot last Sunday. I believe I was left off of that one intentionally. However, that is just my speculation. There was no actual discussion about this event, except Palpatine's stated intent to run it. I had offered to help make ratio in an earlier email and then it went dark on me.

I have not informed anyone else about by decision to step down, except of course you and "the wife", as I already mentioned to you. However, tensions seem to be increasing between myself and some of the other Scouters. Even though I am doing my best to be accommodating and all inclusive. It has become obvious that some of the Scouters are just doing their own thing and do not care that my being Troop Scouter makes me responsible for everything we do.

You asked me to keep quiet and plug on as Troop Scouter for now. I have to ask, when can I announce my stepping down? If I cannot operate in the position of Troop Scouter, with the authority it should have, then I honestly do not want the liability of the position hanging over my head.

As a caveat, if I am to remain as Troop Scouter for any extended duration, the situation needs to change.

However, ultimately my goal is for the Scouts currently under my charge (and all Scouts in general) to be safe, have a great program, and to have fun. 


YIS,

RKR


In the meantime, the canoe mini-camp fell apart. It rained on the Friday so they cancelled the first evening without consulting the youth. So much for Youth Led, not to mention Be Prepared. They canoed for a a couple of hours on Saturday, I left because I did not agree with the delivery. An attempt at organising a food drive in the community crashed and burned. 

A meeting was held about my stepping down, overseen by AC Milwaukee on Sunday 06 November 2016. I was to step down the following Wednesday 09 November 2016. It was also our Remembrance Day ceremony, always held on the Wednesday on or before November 11th. pretty much the last major thing I organised. At that same meeting it was revealed to the Scouters in the Troop that Palpatine would become the Group Commissioner (GC), but would officially be announced at a later date. The lack of transparency of all this really surprised me. I later found out that he was appointed even with recommendations to the contrary.

Hey a few things said right after I said was stepping down in three days:

Palpatine suggested we hold an election for the new Troop Scouter. Whatever?!?

Pong Krell thanked me for what I had done until then. No, no, thank-you.

Jar Jar said he did not want to be Troop Scouter and was bored at the meetings. Bite me ass clown.

Palpatine said we were too old school as a Troop, it can all be fixed with the Canadian Path. That we talk to them like fathers and speak to, not with youth. Really? I must have missed all that. I said nothing, I think Milwaukee gave him a funny look, what an ass clown.

Jar jar said he wanted to get meetings back on track so the youth can have fun again. Really? I did not know they were having an awful time. Maybe if he actually did something, that might help.

Palpatine wanted to schedule extra meetings for the Scouts for planning purposes. What a great idea, I wish I thought of it. Wait, I did. I even tried several times to no avail and no help from him. Ass clown.

Jar Jar wants our Troop to go to CJ17, but only with our Group, no other Scout Groups. What? This guy kept going on about doing events with other Troops. I will address the CJ17 thing shortly.

Palapatine and Jar Jar want structure to meetings. Okay, sure, I guess it was a free for all up until now? Have at it boys.

Pong Krell said "we", which is basically me, email too much. Ha! He was selected the point of contact. Good luck sending one email a week and getting things done.

In the end it was decided to run the Troop by committee, something that just never worked very well in this Group. And somewhat ironic on how the Group's new GC Palpatine's "leadership" of the Group evolved. Dictatorial ass clown.

So, I bet these ass clowns did not know I wrote all that down.

So, Jar Jar's comment about going to CJ17 alone, was directed to the fact that I could only get four Scouts and two Scouters confirmed to go to CJ17 initially. A group that wanted to attend needed at least five Scouts. At an Area meeting a great Scouter from another Group offered to tag us on to his bunch. At the time it was the only way we were going to get to CJ17. Of course Jar Jar was counter to it because I supported it.

So, after that Wednesday, I tried to stay in the background as much as possible, working on those who signed on, to get to CJ17 with the other Group, helping the boy work on his Chief Scout's Award as he was the only one trying now, and some background administration that got harder and harder to complete as I was just not getting the information needed from the triumvirate of the ass clowns. I also was as cooperative as I could be. Although I am sure other will not agree. To that I say: Bite me!

This was my announcement:


9 November 2016 at 20:59

Good Evening Everyone:

Following up on my conversation with the Scouts at tonight's meeting, this is to inform everyone that going forward, I will no longer be Troop Scouter for the ⎹⎹⎹⎹⎹⎹⎹⎹⎹⎹⎹⎹⎹⎹⎹⎹⎹⎹⎹⎹ Scout Troop. However, I will remain with Troop as a Scouter.

It has been decided that this is for the good of the Troop. The Troop will currently be managed by the Troop's Scouter Team and they have a great many ideas on what Troop should be doing and how it should be done.

As Scouts is Youth Led, there should be no apparent change in operations.

I would like to thank everyone for their friendship and support of the last six plus years. I look forward to continue interacting with all of you on this great Scouting journey.


I remain your humble servant,

Yours In Scouting,

Richard (Rusty, Kaa, RKR) Kaminski
Scouter,
⎹⎹⎹⎹⎹⎹⎹⎹⎹⎹⎹⎹⎹⎹⎹⎹⎹⎹⎹⎹ Scout Troop

P.S. Sausages! (This was our unofficial, fun motto.)


Palpatine was actually officially appointed on 8 November 2016, the day before I stepped down, but several of us did not get the original email. I got the official notice six days later. I find that really funny.

So, while working with the other Group we latched on to for CJ17, our own Group for CJ17 grew. To six Scouts and two Scouters, although Palpatine was going as a support Scouter for the Jamboree. As you will soon learn, Jar Jar, who's son was part of our contingent, could not wait to provoke me. But in the meantime things began to disintegrate. Major events kept getting postponed and often cancelled. Not much was happening at the meetings, really a lot of playing manhunt and sitting around talking in circles, because Palpatine was firm with Youth Led meaning we as Scouters do nothing and allow them to fail miserably by deliberately not mentoring. I had somewhat had it and sent something out to all the Scouters in Troop, the GC, and AC:


15 December 2016 at 12:37

Hello All:

I am sending this out to all Scouters in Troop, the Group's "Key Three", and our Area Commissioner.

I am also sending this not just as a Scouter, but also as a parent.


I am disappointed with the result of last night's meeting and the path we have been on recently.


I have expressed my views about "Manhunt" the game to the Scouters in Troop before, so I will keep this brief. Manhunt is not a game for regular meetings, nor is playing other non-constructive games for 30 minutes or longer during our meeting nights. As a Troop we have a great opportunity to teach these youth outdoor skills, citizenship, and more.

If they want to play games like that, then they could come before the meeting and engage in such activities.


Also, yes Scouting is Youth-led. However, when they are wasting great amounts of time, such as "planning" next week's Christmas Party, we need to keep them on track and moving forward. If not, how will they learn to make efficient use of their time and not concentrate on irrelevant minutia?

I spent the greater part of my day yesterday setting up a couple of "Go Bags" to demonstrate to the Scouts about having a pack they could have ready to take at a moment's notice. They expressed interest in such an activity and I promised to follow through. Alas, the bulk of yesterday's meeting time was wasted and we could not engage in this endeavour. I also feel I wasted my time prepping this activity.


Finally, my son's gloves were stolen at yesterday's meeting. There is no doubt in this. This leaves me less than impressed. Before any one asks, there is no way they could have been dropped or mislaid by "the boy". Perhaps it was some kind of prank? "The boy" and myself are not laughing. It was a mean, malicious, and criminal act.


We, as Scouters and parents, need to step up and do more to make the youths' time more constructive and valuable. In addition, we obviously need to teach them about social interaction and appropriate behaviour.

These are just my thoughts and opinions. You do not have to agree with me, nor even like me. However, if we want to pursue a "Lord of the Flies" program, I will need to review my role in this Troop and Group.


Sincerely and Yours In Scouting,

Richard Kaminski


I was pretty pissed off. And yes, the boy's gloves were stolen, perhaps thrown out, but we could not find them in the trash. I am pretty sure who did it, but I will never reveal it now. These types of things happened previously. There was a bully in the Troop who had made the rounds through the guys. It was blown off by certain parties as a "boys will be boys" bunch of horse-shit. Anyway, there were some responses:


15 December 2016 at 20:01

Evening Rick and the rest of the Leadership Group.

Sorry to hear that you felt the meeting last night was not productive.

From my perspective it was a good meeting with several accomplishments;

·        The troop gained some more perspective on the troop leadership concept and exercised some of the skills, including specific information about the role of troop leader, and patrol leaders.
·        We reviewed the plan, do, review concepts.
·        We did the program review piece and wove in elements of the Canadian Path as well as the 6 program areas.
·        Winter camp was discussed and preparation issues were noted.
·        The troop nominated note takers to keep track of their own initiatives.
·        Future meetings were discussed and voted on, including an Aboriginal Craft talk from an Akwesasne individual from the Cornwall area whom has volunteered.  ⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽’s idea for a winter outing to see the Mudpuppies on a Friday evening was also approved by Troop.(never happened)
·        ⍽⍽⍽⍽ got up and spoke to troop and shared some thoughts and helped to clarify interest in pioneering activities (which is a major leadership milestone for this individual) (uh, yeah, are you new? this guy was never shy to speak in front of everyone)
·        The Christmas Party participation was planned out by troop in conjunction with linking with the other sections. Yes this likely took too long, but it was also the first session of planning from a very inexperienced crew and a constructive session of Plan/Do/Review will help them to gain some more perspective on the process. (they spent about thirty minutes talking about what songs to play and no one brought music to the party in the end)

Transitioning the troop to a full understanding of their own roles in troop, and their responsibility for the program is going to take some time and I fully expect it will be painful to witness at times. Like nearly everything else we try to teach our children. (wait, did he use the word teach? he's a witch!)

I hear your thoughts on Manhunt and don’t entirely disagree, but it’s not our program, it’s the troops. As long as they are safe and enjoying themselves we don’t always need to put our own narrative on the choices they may make. The best way to move beyond that particular activity is A) Plan/Do/Review within troop and B) the troop can bring other ideas to troop for games and steam burning activities. For example ⍽⍽⍽ had an activity to suggest, but did not come prepared with the props required, and I think will likely do so for future meetings. (yeah, he never did)

I think we all brought activities for the night last night, I had a canoe instruction film to share, you had your go packs, etc. Again, we need to defer our input to the youth and allow them the room to make mistakes, and the responsibility for their participation. I’m going to hang onto my activity for a night when there is room on the agenda, and I hope you will as well. (I never showed them the go bags)

Also sorry to hear about "the boy's" gloves, that is most unfortunate. Hopefully they were inadvertently taken and will show up next week. With so many folks having access to the coat room I don’t feel confident making any assignments of blame for their loss, although I understand "the boy" being very upset. (see below)


YIS

Pong Krell


Another response:


15 December 2016 at 23:44

Richard, 

Sorry to hear about "the boy's" gloves. This might be something to discuss with the Scout Leadership Team. I agree with Pong Krill otherwise. It's a bit of a rough start but we need to let the scouts take ownership of their program. 


Palpatine


So in the end, nothing was done to follow up or change things in any way. More time was wasted. As to Pong Krell saying the boy was upset. Luckily, he did not say that in my presence, he would most likely have become a permanent part of the wall. At no point was it said that he was upset. Upset implies something different and in the manner he used it, unpalatable like the boy did something wrong. Like he was in tears and very immature about it and throwing a fit. He was unimpressed and pissed off, someone stole his stuff. I thought I made it somewhat clear. And Palpatine, at no time for the remainder of the year did I see anyone successfully take ownership, Scout or Scouter. When anyone tried, the triumvirate or less caring Scouts pretty much shut it down or disrupted it in some way. Good on you guys for standing firm on the point of Youth Led. Ass clowns.

There was one more response from Jar Jar. I still do not really get it. I do not think he did either:


19 December 2016 at 11:49

Satisfaction lies in the effort, not in the attainment, full effort is full victory. 

-Ghandi


Not really appropriate in the context of what I was getting at. It almost translates as: so what if they crash and burn every time. At least they tried, sort of. Ass clown.

My response and not surprisingly where this thread died:


19 December 2016 at 11:57

"My cat's name is mittens."

--Ralph Wiggum, The Simpsons


I do not think anything else would have been more appropriate.

We reached a point in our planning for CJ17 where we had to start submitting funds to secure our place. The way our banking works, we can only accept cash, money order, or cheque as payment. Just like we can normally only pay by cheque, as cash payment requires advance notice and explanation. We cannot take any form of electronic payment, to our Scout Group bank account or  personally. This was made clear on more than one occasion. However, Jar Jar being Jar Jar, sent me an e-payment to my private back account without informing me beforehand. Just like when he would be told we needed hard copies of documents and he would email them. Somehow, he must have thought I was a Staples or Kinkos. Now he thought I was I clearing house for banking too. I sent him an email and included our muckity-mucks at the top, about the attempted deposit to my account:


29 December 2016 at 18:56

Can someone explain to Jar Jar that our Group is unable to operate on an e-banking level? Sending me the funds personally, is:

1. Not a prudent method.
2. A lot of work for me and will cost me fees.

I believe our inability to operate in this manner has been explained previously.

I will not be accepting these monies.

YIS,

RKR


Jar Jar:


29 December 2016 at 19:13

Hi Richard;

Thanks for this. I am out of town tomorrow filming and wanted to ensure I made your deadline of January 30th.

I don’t think anyone else needs to weigh in as you have made your opinion known. I will drop off a cheque Saturday morning.


Happy New Year to you.


He had a lot of time to organise this, so boo-hoo. Ass clown. There was a pointless email or two about looking in to e-banking, which cannot be done. Then Jar Jar dropped this on me, and me only:


30 December 2016 at 05:43

If you have a problem with me Rick, I suggest we sit down and hash things out before I send my kid off to camp with you.
As far as I knew, ⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽ was running the show, and you were collecting the money as more of a personal favour/scouting spirit.

There is really no reason why the money needs to be funnelled through ⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽ Scouts right?


Wow!? Strong words. First, he implies I will attempt to harm his son. Holy fudge!!! Then, he seems to imply I may be skimming money?!?!? Double Fudge! Ass clown.

My response:


30 December 2016 at 08:34

Our portion of the contingent is independently registered. Officially, we are only associated with ⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽ for purposes of camping with each other during CJ17. Therefore, ⍽⍽⍽ Scouts is the communication point for PU⍽⍽⍽⍽, our Patrol Unit designation, as well as the ones who cut the cheques for registration for CJ17. We are associated with ⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽, as initially we were not going to have enough Scouts for our own Contingent, as well as to benefit from their advanced stage of planning and experience with Jamborees in general.

As to your first query, I think it is you who has a problem with me. Your open hostility and attempts to provoke me go beyond any hatred I have received from anyone in my entire life. 

If you think how you treat me would affect how I would treat Jar Jar Junior, then you do not know me at all. I do not let the poor behaviour of a parent affect my relationship with a child in my care. If I did, I would not have been able to work with youth for the last thirty years.

YIS,

RKR


I also forwarded Jar Jar's above email to GC Palpatine and AC Milwaukee with my own concerns:


30 December 2016 at 08:48

Please read Jar Jar's email to me. See below. (two emails above)

I do not know how to respond to this.

As to our involvement in CJ17, Jar Jar obviously does not have any interest in reviewing past communications or attending meetings and is misinformed about our role and the process involved.

As to his implication on how I would treat his son due to his relationship with me, I am aghast and  cannot respond with words that would not inflame his opinion of me.

Sorry to drop this on you just before New Year's.

YIS,

RKR


Palpatine's "wise words" of response, with the subject line: decorum please


30 December 2016 at 09:10

Hey Guys,

Just a suggestion if I may, before you send anything negative in writing please give it a 24 hour test or cooling off period and think it over again before sending.

I do that all the time and it works wonders.(not so sure about that Palpy ol' buddy)


Happy New Year.


"Hey guys"? How so very professional. Jar Jar is the one who freaked out, but I get censured as well? How so very professional. That is where it ended. Ass clown.


Things limped along from there some, events happened, some never came to fruition. No real Youth Led planning or execution ever really happened. They did manage a canoe camp in June, but only really because another Troop invited them on their very well organised trip. I was out by then and the boy was not pursuing any activities with this group any longer.

But wait, some really big stuff happened in April 2016. This is where GC Palpatine really sunk his teeth in to his agenda and revealed his true self. Well, I have probably gone on long enough today. I am also curious if anyone will contact me. I know Palpatine and Pong Krell monitor me through my Google+ account. Maybe Scouter Palpatine believes he has let out enough rope for me to hang myself. Maybe he wants me to wrap it around my neck an extra time before he yanks on it. Well, I still have more to say, so until tomorrow. And remember: Youth Led! blbbl


No comments:

Post a Comment