pages

search the rooster

Monday, September 11, 2017

persistence pays off

So, I did call the doctor's office this morning about my concern that I may be developing a serious allergy to wasp and bee stings. Also, that I want to speak directly with her.

At first they told me that the doctor does not speak with patients over the phone. I can do email, I can come in, but this needs to be resolved now.

I was firm, I was stern. I was also respectful and insistent. They put me on with the head honcho of the office administrative team. I explained everything again. I also included the fact that I was provided with incorrect information about epi-pens. Also, that it is all good and well that I should see an allergist and that I have an appointment with my doctor in three weeks. What about the meantime? My reactions get more severe each time I get stung. None of the future appointments will do me any good if I am dead.

A quick pause on hold. Then I was asked if I could come in this afternoon. Yes, I could. 

I saw the doctor. I explained what has been happening with successive stings. I answered all her questions. She began to explain what an epi-pen does. I already know. I also know that even after administrating an epi-pen, one still needs to go to the hospital as the epi-pen only abates the reaction somewhat. It does not stop it.

She says she still has to send me to an allergist. I am fine with that. She also tells me about using over the counter allergy medication. Sure, fine. She still cuts me an epi-pen prescription. For one, and one only. As she is trying to book a consult with an allergist, she finds that there are no openings anytime soon. Weeks, months? Who knows? She says she will try to get my an earlier appointment with someone. Sure, okay.

Hey, I have my prescription. I go home and drop it off at my pharmacist, who, I incidentally, had already seen to ensure he had epi-pens in stock. He had two. So, when I saw him again, he set me up. I also pick up some over the counter allergy medication as a just in case. I do only have one epi-pen. He asks if I know how to use one. Yup, I have been instructed several times. Plus it is pretty clear right on the injector itself.

So, now, I feel much better. I am more at ease. I am still staying away from those two wasp colonies I know about. No word back from our exterminator. So, I will get online tomorrow and find someone else. That guy's loss of revenue. No matter to me, he has had more than enough time to get back to us and I need these wasps gone. At least I feel more secure. Plus, I sent away for my free, "stylish" epi-pen waistpack. I hope I can contain myself while I wait four to six weeks for delivery. blbbl

No comments:

Post a Comment