pages

search the rooster

Monday, November 27, 2017

hike-in camp aftermath

Spent the day tearing my gear apart and rebuilding it. The boy's tent dried overnight and he packed it away when he got home. My tent was left in a heap on the basement floor. When I unravelled it today, water poured out. I rolled it up covered in ice, snow, and water. That will get packed tomorrow.

All the synthetic sleeping bags were wet and/or smelly. I only normally wash them once a year. They are running in the washer right now. They too will be packed tomorrow. The down bag that the boy grifted from me was fine so it is just airing out. I miss that bag.

What else? Too much back up gear. What the boy and I brought personally was fine, just all the extra gear to cover the other Scouts if things went south. They really did not. So, at least it looks like we can now truly go lightweight. The kids just need to get better socks!

Today, another Scouter and I have already started planning a 20 klik hike. In less than two weeks. Something must be wrong with us. Perhaps we took blows to the head this past weekend and blocked it out. Seriously though, I am tickled pink that we can get these events to the Scouts.

I was actually planning for a camp in the spring and that morphed in to the hike. It is actually brilliant (no thanks to me though). There are three distance options so each Scout can hike to their confidence level. It will be a very long day when we execute it. We need to get our ducks in a row by Friday to make it happen. Really though, it just really needs to be put down in paperwork (yes, Scouting in Canada has a lot of paperwork), sign up the Scouts, and away we go.

Plus it is on a stretch of the Rideau Trail. It will put the boy within spitting distance to complete the Rideau Trail - Canada 150 Challenge. Oh boy, I cannot wait. blbbl

No comments:

Post a Comment