pages

search the rooster

Sunday, November 26, 2017

i survived scout camp

Well, everyone did. We have a pretty tough bunch of youngsters. Rain, rain again, freezing rain, snow! Muddy and/or submerged trails. Setting their own campfires. Knife training and the confidence and skill they had handling them. I was impressed.

It was a very good stepping stone for even more adventurous trips. Lessons learnt? Water discipline is a difficult concept to teach. Compared to my old Troop, these guys eat like birds. Effort and enthusiasm go a long, very long, way. Most kids have crappy socks. My tent needs to be re-waterproofed because I hate sleeping in my truck to avoid a swimming pool in my tent.

That was actually funny. I slept like crap in the front passenger seat. I kept waking up every hour or less finding that I slid near off the seat and my sleeping bag was all but off of me. That and I exude a buttload of water while sleeping - all the windows were coated in water droplets. I should have got my other sleeping bag and tripled-up and stayed in the tent. Well, that is another lesson, but I will be waterproofing the tent once again anyway.

Man, sleeping in a twisted broken branch kind of way in a truck sure does not leave you well rested. Hey! Another lesson. Anyway, super exhausted and I have a long day ahead of me rotating my wet gear in the basement to ensure it does not rot away before the next use.

Nighty-night bunnies. blbbl

No comments:

Post a Comment