pages

search the rooster

Friday, November 10, 2017

nice to be appreciated

So, I renewed my Royal Canadian Legion membership a few weeks ago. I stopped by my Branch to pick up my new card. Now, they are perpetual plastic cards with little renewal stickers. Cool. Looks like I can set myself up to renew online as well. Cool. My Branch is about a thirty minute drive from me.

While I was driving home, I was reminded about the new Canadian Forces Appreciation Program. They used to have some funky parameters to get a former service id card. As a result, I could not get one. Not cool. They revamped the program and now it is like a super discount card. Cool. Someone I know who still serves in my last Regiment told me about it.

I decided, as we are on the cusp of Remembrance Day for this year, that I would get off my computer butt and go online and get it rolling. I searched all over the house for my military service paperwork. I did find it in the end, took pictures, converted them into pdf documents and merged them in to one document. Not as hard as it seems. Cool.

Then I went to the website and filled the form online. Cool. I submitted it. Then, bam, nogo. My service number did not comply with a standard format. Not so cool. You see, when I was in, they did not have service numbers. Soldiers, sailors, and airmen used their Social Insurance Number (SIN) as their service number. This was some time ago. Since then, of course, all soldiers, and many veterans and former serving members have service numbers issued by the military. (I do not consider myself a veteran as I did not serve in "combat", peacekeeping or peacemaking duties, nor even overseas. I was strictly a peacetime reserve soldier with some regular army training thrown in.)

I called the Program's "800 number" and had a very helpful person. Cool. She told me that with the SIN it is very common for the online application to be rejected. Sometimes it goes through, but more often than not, it fails. She told me to download the form, fill it out, and email it in. Cool. In fact, we filled out forms for the boy, the wife, and myself. Cool. I sent them off via email. Cool.

We should get our cards in a couple/few weeks. Hopefully cool.

So, if you know someone who is serving, has served, is related to someone like that, plus RCMP, and even some DND type employees, tell them about this Program. There are even allowances for many others as well, check it out. It can only grow and offer even more advantages for people who serve, or served, this great nation. Even if you no longer reside in Canada there may very well be benefits. I will be exploring this Program in greater detail over the next few weeks.

As I have mentioned Remembrance Day and serving one's country, I will add a brief spiel about it as it is tomorrow. Remembrance Day is commemorated by the British Commonwealth of Nations and several other nations, including Belgium (the wife and I were there one year during the ceremonies). Some nations have other names for it and some other days as well. For some basic information click on the links above.

I will say this though. It is not a celebration. Particularly, not a celebration for war or death or destruction. Those who believe that can kiss my ass. Then, do some research. Real research. It is a commemoration of those that served for our freedoms, the freedom of peoples and nations, and did not return from that struggle. it is a commemoration of people, not events. Yes, it traces its origins to the First World War, but that is it. It commemorates all who served and fell, regardless of conflict.

To many, including myself, it also commemorates those who came back from these conflicts, physically damaged, psychologically damaged, and even those who were, or at least appear to be, undamaged in any way. It also commemorates those who continue to serve.

There is a saying: If you like your freedom, thank a vet. I take pride every time I see someone in uniform, or in veterans apparel, or who just mention that they served their country. I am not asking you to enlist, but please respect those who served and those who currently serve. If you must, please save your disagreements or protests for the other 364 days of the year.

Remember, it is nice to be appreciated. Attend a ceremony tomorrow and give your respects.

Lest we forget.

Lest we forget.

blbbl

No comments:

Post a Comment