pages

search the rooster

Saturday, November 25, 2017

knives, tarps, scavenger hunts, and hidden talents

Today was largely more orderly.

The Scouts all made their own breakfasts in small groups. Then I led two sessions in knife training in the morning, while another Scouter led sessions in tarp shelters.

It all went fairly swimmingly, but it did rain most of the day. Though it did not diminish spirits in the least. Everyone passed their Knife Permits and several shelters were built.

They broke for lunch, then did a scavenger hunt, organised by another Scouter, in the afternoon on the trails here. Everyone had a great time. Thankfully, it was around 8 degrees celcius most of the day.

As a result of the knife training, there was much whittling and some Scouts tried their hands at honing their blades. Funny though, when they realised the effort required in sharpening a knife by hand, they all were satisfied rather quickly in the "new" edge. No worries, they will get back to that at a later date.

I also learned that I can fashion bandaids in to shapes of animal heads as the result of a not major injury someone sustained. I made a pig, then a bear cub. I wanted to make an elephant, but was turned down.

It is now about 3 degrees and raining again. I discovered the waterproofing on my tent no longer exists. There was a puddle inside and my sleeping pad is wet. If I was truly in the bush and lightweight camping I would suck it up and do my best to persevere.

However, as my truck is actually at our site, I have elected to sleep in the cab. I am not a moron. I will investigate how to successfully longterm re-waterproof the tent. Hopefully I can. I like my little solo tent. I should have set up tarps like I always used to, but I was lazy. Not next time though. A lesson learned.

So, this is now the second time I have slept in my truck at a Scouting event. Hopefully, it is last. It is murder on the back packing a whole truck in to a campsite, even a midsized GMC Canyon. blbbl

No comments:

Post a Comment