pages

search the rooster

Friday, December 08, 2017

a bad day for keys

Early this morning I get a text from a friend that was supposed to pick me up saying she could not find her keys. Her only set of key for her car! She was still looking for them. No worries. The day will just start later.

Twenty-nine minutes later, the boy texts me to say he locked his locker key in his locker. Okay. I text back not to worry. His combination lock had gotten damaged earlier in the week so we sent him with a key lock as that was all we had at home. Incidentally, he has had several locks go kaput on him in the last two years. His second replacement was my old secondary school lock. That one got ruined as well. I am pretty certain there is an assclown at his school that likes wrecking other students' locks. Hopefully they catch this jerk soon.

I told the boy he had to wait until Monday to open it with another key or cut it off. Well, he cut it off, no worries. We will get yet another combination lock this weekend. Hopefully, he makes it to the end of the year with this one!?

In the meantime, my friend is texting about her car keys. Nowhere to be found. That expedition is now postponed until she can get a new key from the dealer. I went about going through camping and hiking gear and packing for a 20 klik hike on Sunday with the Scout Troop.

I do love hiking and I really enjoy taking these guys out so they can get out on the trail and enjoy and learn. The downside, for me, is that I need to take extra gear. Gear I would only take if I were hiking in truly unknown territory or remote or over an extended period. However, I need to cover all the bases. These lads and lasses are young and still learning what they need for gear and, as a Scouter, I am responsible for their well being and safety. No worries. The extra weight gives me more of a workout.

In the meantime, my friend texts again. It will be some time before a new key is cut. Okay. The day is cancelled. Okay, no worries. I continued to muck with my gear. When the boy came home, he sorted his gear as well.

This double key tragedy put me in mind of previous key losses and lockouts. The wife and the boy, once, got locked out of our current home. She broke in. Problem solved. 

Another friend had stepped outside briefly from her home and her son closed and locked the door. He was very young and thought it was mildly funny. Unfortunately, no matter what pleading or cajoling the friend tried, he would not open the door for his mum. She had to call the fire department. They got her in the door. Shortly after, her husband installed a door lock that also had a keypad. Problem solved.

The best though. The very best. My mum. She, so many times, would lock the car keys in the car, various cars, my truck. It is a along list. It was usually no biggie. Someone else had a key and would unlock it it and retrieve the keys. However, more than once, she would lock the keys in when she was out somewhere. Okay, so now someone had to drive to where she was and unlock it. Not such a big deal. Well, not always. My mum, on more than one occasion would lock the keys in the vehicle with the engine running. Awesome.

So, it was more of a rush to sort on those occasions. This was all in the days before mobile phones too! Once, she had my truck for some reason and I was out somewhere with friends. I do not remember specifically where, what, or who. Well, she, of course, locked the keys inside with the engine running. At one time, that would have been no big deal. I had a rear sliding window and the locking clasp was broken. Someone just had to climb in. Well, I had replaced it a few weeks before that particular lockout.

I, of course, had the other set of keys. It was on the same ring as my house key. Besides, it was my truck. Well, she called home and I was not there. My dad tried to track me down. No luck. My brother tried to track me down. No luck. When I got home I got a blast of crap. Hey, I did not lock the keys in with the engine running! Well, too bad for me. They actually called the auto club and they jimmied the lock and got her in. The truck burned up somewhere between a quarter and a half a tank. Wow! Slow service for sure!!

Anyway, shortly after that, my dad made a slim jim. It worked really well. Good thing for mum, she used it a lot! How my dad figured how to make it, I will never know. He had no interweb to search. He certainly did not go to the library or consult with anyone. My dad was like that. He could figure things out. He more than once repaired unrepairable appliances, taught himself woodworking, fruit tree grafting, made knives from scratch. Oh, the list is endless.

Yeah, keys and locks, seems simple, but not really. I do hope my friend got an extra key cut. Maybe I should get two locks for the boy? Gee, I wish I knew what happened to dad's slim jim. It just vanished one day.....like a key. blbbl

No comments:

Post a Comment