pages

search the rooster

Wednesday, December 06, 2017

tibetan prayer flags

For a long time I have wanted to get some Tibetan prayer flags. I have always liked the concept of them, but never managed to follow through.

Well, today, they boy and I had some appointments and we had some time in between. So, we popped in to 3 Trees. It is a store owned by friend of mine whom I used to train Karate with. I actually ran in to her there as well and will be seeing her and a bunch of Karate people next week.

Anyway, I picked some out. A small set, a less small set, and a tiny set. The first two I will string up out back of the house and the tiny one I will take camping. Plus, we got some other little things for ourselves and some gifts for others. So, I think a good karma-type day.

One is supposed to put the flags up on an auspicious astrological date. The best apparently is the Tibetan New Year, Losar. This coming year it begins on Friday 16 February 2018 and concludes on Sunday 18 February 2018. Now, I do not think I can wait that long. One site lists inauspicious dates. It also states Mondays and sunny, windy days, in the morning, are best for non-specifically über-auspicious dates.

This site, gets more complicated and has further instruction. However, from what I can gather from these two sites, the next best dates for me are:

Monday 11 December 2017
Monday 18 December 2017
Monday 08 January 2018
Monday 15 January 2018
Monday  05 February 2018
Monday 12 February 2018
Friday 16 - Sunday 18 February 2018 (Losar)

So, I will be hoping for a sunny and windy morning on those dates and hopefully get the flags up soon. I like the idea of spreading and promoting "peace, compassion, strength, and wisdom." 

As to the tiny ones for camping. I will make a crib sheet to ensure they are not put up on a particularly bad day. However, to me, any time I am out camping, hiking, canoeing, or in the outdoors in general, is pretty auspicious to me. I will seek more information about the propriety of doing this, but it should be all good I would think.

I feel all fuzzy and warm just thinking about it. blbbl

No comments:

Post a Comment