pages

search the rooster

Monday, December 25, 2017

the turkey that came in from the cold (the fifth day of christmas in the hammer)

So, Christmas with the in-laws and my second scratch dinner in two days.

We did presents this morning and all afternoon was prepping and cooking dinner.

Dinner was terrific. I had plenty of help too. Like I told my brother-in-law when he congratulated me on dinner: I did not do much, I just put it in the oven and it did the rest. Plus I had tons of help.

Snack and second supper out now. Much pleasant conversation.

A grand day and evening in all.

However, as the title of the post implies, the main point of this post is the turkey.

So, my one sister-in-law provided the turkey. She gets a turkey as a gift every year and provided it for our supper.

However, there is more to this turkey than meets the belly.

As I was appointed to prepare Christmas supper, I compiled a menu and circulated it amongst the family. Some back and forth and adjustments.

Then, I was informed of the source of the turkey, I asked how much it weighed so I could determine portions and cooking time.

Well, at that time, the turkey was not in hand. I would have to wait as to how much it weighed.

Well, when the turkey was finally in my sister-in-law's possession, I enquired once again as to its weight.

No idea, it was estimated at ten pounds. Okay, but I need to know the actual weight. Can they weigh it.

The wife was the liaison for this. So, every day I asked if the turkey was weighed. No, but they (my sister-in-law whose turkey it was, and my other sister-in-law, who is the former's neighbour) think it is ten or eleven pounds.

This went on every day. It was like it was a national secret. Like this turkey was in deep cover. That would explain why the turkey had no weight tag in the first place. My question: What government is this turkey aligned with; is it on the lam and in hiding?

Honestly, it was driving me wild. I needed to plan how long to cook it, so we would know when to start it, so we can sit down for whatever time dinner would be determined to be.

So, when the wife went to Guelph yesterday to pick up her sister, the one with the turkey, she was of course delivering the turkey as well to the mother-in-law's house.

However, I made her promise to weigh the turkey to complete my cooking plans. The turkey's security status be damned!

When she show up at my friend's yesterday after the rendition of the turkey, the first thing she said was was that the turkey weighed twelve pounds. Two pounds heavier than guesstimated! That is about an hour's cooking time difference!!

This turkey's goose was cooked now! Ha!!

The best part? Apparently, my two sisters-in-law apparently do not have a bathroom scale. Hence, why it was not weighed in Guelph.

However, the mother-in-law does not have a bathroom scale either! The wife used her mum's luggage scale. You know those ones that have a hook and you lift the luggage to determine the weight. I have one like it, it is used for weighing fish.

Well, my plan for the demise for the turkey was set in motion finally.

Well, whatever nation this turkey was in the covert service of, I would like to let them know that the turkey never cracked, never revealed any secrets, they can be proud of their bird.

Plus, it was very tasty!!!

Merry Christmas everyone! blbbl

No comments:

Post a Comment