pages

search the rooster

Monday, July 31, 2017

restaurant review - urban cowboy

With all that has been going on this past week: flooding, flood recovery, la machine, visitors, etc., we went out for dinner last night.

The boy had been given vouchers from Ray's Reptiles, in appreciation for his volunteering some time ago for a restaurant called The Urban Cowboy. Apparently, it started out as a food truck and then they made the leap to a full restaurant.

the urban cowboy

Honestly, I was not expecting much. It is your basic "Tex-Mex" style restaurant. I figured it would be like most of its type outside of its home territory: "okay". And looking at the pricing online, I thought a bit high, but let us try it. The vouchers would basically give us an entrée for free. So, why not.

I was actually surprised. We ordered sweet potato fries with a tempura batter, battered deep fried pickles, and chips and guacamole to start. Very tasty. The boy and the wife thought the guac was okay, but I rather liked it. This from a guy who makes his own. They thought it had too much lime, but I found a smoky undertone that made it stand out. We did not finish the apps. Too much. Next time, no more than two appetisers. 

looking towards the bar

For our mains, the boy got the brisket sandwich with onion rings. He finished the sammy, but the rings were aplenty and he could not consume all of them, even with help. The wife got the chicken and waffles and mac n' cheese for a side. Again, could not be finished. 

My main course was the Derby Platter, a single order. Quarter chicken, quarter rack of ribs (more like a half rack though), pulled pork, brisket (styled like pulled pork), smoked sausage (very polish in style, but smoky), a couple of chicken wings, it also came with cornbread (a huge hunk), and for my side: trail beans ( a good sized portion). All our dishes came with coleslaw too.

you can watch them prepare your meal

All the meaty bits in my entrée were smoky, but not overwhelmingly so, barbecue sauce on everything, but again, not overwhelmingly so. I could not finish it. I wanted to, but knew I would be sorry. I killed the beans though. They were fantastic. I mean, I wanted more, but I am shy and did not ask. If I could only have one item from the Urban Cowboy, it would be the trail beans. That is how good they were. Usually, beans are an afterthought in most restaurants, be they Tex-Mex, Mexican, Québécois, or a breakfast place, but these were, as Jimmie Walker, as James (J.J.) Evans Junior on Good Times, would say: "Dyn-o-mite!"

The only thing we all thought that could have been better was the coleslaw. It was adequate and a cream based one. One would expect it to be a vinegar one. It just did not stand up to the rest of the meal. Fortunately, it was only a small part. However, I do hope they step up to the plate for the slaw. I really enjoy it when it is made well. I know most people actually do not eat it, just like the pickle in a deli meal, but to me it is part of the meal and the experience.

The boy and I devoured our leftovers today for lunch. The wife carved hers in to two lunches to take to work. That is how big the meals actually were. So, In the end, the pricing was reasonable. The meal very enjoyable and our waitress was very good, friendly, and attentive.

If you get the chance, you should check out the Urban Cowboy at 4456 Limebank Road in Ottawa (613-604-4456). I honestly cannot tell you how it compares to barbecue from Texas and the Southwest, but around here, it blows away just about anything you will find in the Ottawa Valley. I hope I run in to their food truck too. blbbl


No comments:

Post a Comment