pages

search the rooster

Monday, April 24, 2017

barbecue tip - side burner

Still not back to 100% yet, but I discovered a a little trick with my bbq yesterday.

I wanted to do everything outside together. I had the potatoes prepped. The snow peas were going to be done in the bbq wok. Lamb chops, pretty easy to figure out. Especially with marmite on them. Yum yum!

The mushrooms though. they are usually a pain to do on the barbecue side burner. Never enough heat because of the breeze, but I hate running between the kitchen and the barbecue. So, I decided, screw it, I will fry them up in a cast iron pan on the side burner anyway.

Of course it was taking forever. Then. Wait a minute? My side burner has a cover to keep the yard detritus out of the burner between uses. I just put the lid down. Of course it does not cover the pan like a lid would, but the heat built up quickly and maintained.

Better yet. When I stirred the mushroom around, just lift the lid back and let it sit. I still had my other hand free for seasoning and whatnot.

The mushrooms came out nice and crispy. Just how we like them. Except the boy. He cannot get a taste for "shrooms". And we have tried at least six or seven distinct and different types.

Anyway, the chops? Awesome! The snow peas? Fantastic! The potatoes? Wonderful! The mushrooms? Out! Of!! This!!! WORLD!!!!

Plus, the wife made a cheese sauce from scratch. That elevated everything up to another level. We did forget the bread though, but we did not notice.

Anyway, if you have a side burner? And it has a lid? You can use it to keep the heat up to actually be useful.

No comments:

Post a Comment