pages

search the rooster

Friday, April 21, 2017

timings

Ever wonder why sometimes you can just not be on time?

I do.

I used to always be early. I mean early. Like, half to three-quarters of an hour. If I was fifteen minutes early I considered myself to be late.

Now, if I am on time, I am all but literally hitting the second hand at the top of the dial.

I do not tell people I will meet them at a specific time any more. I tell them I will meet them about a certain time. Or between this time and that time.

I do not know exactly when my being able to meet timings or to be easily early burned out.

I know I was still prompt after the boy was brought in to this world. Oh, it was probably getting sketchy by that time though.

I figure it went to complete crap about six or seven years ago. About two or three years after the boy started school. Hmm?

No really discernible pattern of change I can really see. I cannot really blame the boy. Can I?

I learnt from my parents, Army Cadets, and the Army to be on time, if not early.

Of course, with activities with fixed start times, like any training, the boy's activities, and the like, I am fine. In fact, I still do tend to be early. Except when I know being early will be a burden, then at the top of the dial it is.

It is those activities where I may be meeting someone for lunch, or coffee, or a cocktail. The more casual activities. Even my hikes, Denis joins me most days during the week. We set a time, not usually the same each day as we work around his schedule. It does not matter the time, I am almost always about five minutes late. When I do get there before him, I check the time we set thinking I was way off.

It is not like these less formal occasions are not important to me. Perhaps it is because they are informal that my internal Drill Instructor is not yelling at me to move it, hustle, hustle, hustle!

Am I mellowing out? Many people who think they know me would not agree. It must be that though. Like today, on the hike, I found it very serene. There was a peacefulness in the woods. The kind that just gets in to your whole being. If I was alone, I would have sat down in a clearing and just chilled. Maybe next time.

So, that has to be it. I am slowing myself down.

I do not like being late, but I prefer being calm, peaceful, and serene. Maybe I should set my watch fifteen minutes ahead, that way I may be able to have both.

Now, if I can only avoid those terrible drivers and other annoying people, I can be forever mellow.

Peace out dude.

No comments:

Post a Comment