pages

search the rooster

Tuesday, April 18, 2017

this is how i roll

Not my phrase, someone else's. I was never a fan of it, but it has been on my mind for some months now.

I have also been thinking about the pot calling the kettle back.

Lately, the two have been interplaying and overlapping all around me.

I witness people shirking responsibility and they offer a backhanded apology. They do apologise, then they qualify it by stating that really in the end, it really is not their fault, but just who they are, or if you will, this is how they roll. So, really not much of an apology, but more of a: tough nuts buddy.

The other manner of eschewing accountability that I have been an eyewitness to is the blunt passing of the buck. (Another saying coming to life all around me.) "Well, they really are in charge and responsible." Really, it is actually your responsibility on several levels to ensure this happens and that those that are to do the actual work to make it happen learn from you, from us.

I cannot go in to specifics at this time, because I have been spanked for something I am perceived to have done and must behave. So, vague and general it shall be for now.

Again, not their fault, because someone, who has no legal or contractual responsibility is responsible in their eyes. Yet, they, I, we, are there to teach, mentor, and guide. To some that means, "Well, if they don't figure it out or get motivated to do it, then that is the lesson." Wow.

One of my favourites though, is when you call someone out for actually dropping the ball, but say that collectively we can make up for it and mitigate the failing, you get called out for what, as far as I am concerned about, made up facts. Or to be nice, let us say, misremembered, and vague, history.

Then the final and my absolute favouritest (Apparently, yes Virginia, it is a word.) is the pot-kettle bit. Yet, it can be taken to new heights I could never envision.

Being told one's behaviours and actions are absolutely objectionable and unsuitable. Whether true, exaggerated, or outright false no longer remains relevant when the derisive dressing down is done publicly and in the exact (well not exact, much worse really) manner in which one is accused to have behaved towards another party and the reason for the dressing down in the first place.

The pot does not get any blacker than that. Well, maybe if one were stabbed in the eye with a rusty, poop covered, dull knife simultaneously. Oh, and being kicked in the pills too. That would be worse I guess.

Well then. What am I so worked up about. It could be worse. I could be lying in the road clutching my boys with a bloody fly encrusted eye-socket (from the knife with the poop, remember), needing a tetanus shot (the rust, remember), AND with my feelings hurt.

Whew, I feel better.

No comments:

Post a Comment