pages

search the rooster

Wednesday, April 05, 2017

new activity in the backyard

The birds have not really discovered the feeders yet, but it is early days.

Not long after I finished setting up the feeders, there was a considerable amount of birdsong. More than usual. That may very well just be the onset of spring though.

Then there was a whole crew of grackles, not enough to consist of a plague or an annoyance though, milling about all over the ground flipping over leaves. It looked like one of them lost their car keys and they were all looking for them.

They were back today and a couple hit the mixed seed feeder on the birch and another was at the suet breaking bits off and throwing them down to bunch on the ground. That was pretty interesting.

There has been a really big blue jay hanging around. Seriously, he is huge. The biggest I have ever seen. He is going back and forth between our yard and one of the neighbours who has cedar-log screens set up in his yard. He was checking out the feeders on the birch too, especially the sunflower seeds. Unfortunately, I did not see if he fed or not.

There have also been what I believe are starlings. They are not native to North America, but have been introduced here. Again, there were several, but not enough to make up a murmuration. They hit the mixed seed feeder at the birch as well.

The usual robins are hanging around. From what I understand, they are not so much feeder birds. That is fine. I can take or leave them. They and the grackles usually hit the lawn after I cut the grass. That is just weird. I guess the grass cutting must reveal something they can eat. Glad I can be of service.

From an entertainment perspective though, the best so far has not been the birds, but the tiny mammalians trying to figure out how to get to the feeders.

The wife was working from home today and while I was hiking, she said there was one of our resident crazy-assed black squirrels climbing all up and down the birch trying to get to the feeders and just could not. I guess the way I hung them up is an effective deterrent. Poor guy.

I saw our resident chipmunk, Mr. Chippy, trying the same. He was not as industrious as the squirrel, but he gave it a go. He then must have found some sunflower seeds that fell to the ground and he was pretty happy about that.

I felt a little bad for those guys, so I put out some peanuts for them. They were gone in no time.

So, I just did a walk around and all the feeders have definitely been hit by a few birds, except maybe for the sunflower seeds. That is okay though, I put those out more for the cardinals, who have not made a showing yet this year.

Well, it can only get better.

No comments:

Post a Comment