pages

search the rooster

Monday, April 03, 2017

worst case scenario

I have a tendency to over-plan. I look at the worst that can happen and then work backwards.

This means that I usually have everything I need for whatever I am doing. It also means that I usually have too much crap with me no mater whatever I am doing.

Is this a bad thing? I do not think so. 

When I go camping I have a stack of tarps, lots of rope, and more often than not, I end up using them. I always bring extra food too, but I usually bring that stuff back, but still.

Road trip? The back of my truck is filled with breakdown gear. In the cab, loads of water, snacks, maps (I will never be lost in Kentucky).

Hiking? I carry a small emergency kit etc. and other sundry items, but that is only good sense.

My everyday carry (EDC): at least two pocket knives, a Leatherman tool, flashlight, handkerchief, Mechanix or deerskin gloves, toque..., you get it.

Travelling? Oh, all kinds of stuff will be found in my luggage. I am like the opposite of the guy in If It's Tuesday, This Must Be Belgium, who cleans out his hotel room and stuffs his luggage. Me, my luggage is already stuffed when I start, not that I do not take all the free soap and tea that hotels provide....I am a cheapskate.

This does dovetail with my food pantry habits, so not really a surprise I over-plan.

A lot of people jack me up about these tendencies. That is fine, sooner or later, usually sooner, they ask for some of my over-planned worst case scenario stuff if they are camping or travelling with me.

A lot of people call me paranoid, but that is entirely another post(s). That is okay too. I know everyone is against me. Why would I not plan for that? At least I am not like Steve Buscemi in Billy Madison.

I have to go now. I need to count how many jars of pickles I have left. There may a cucumber shortage this year, you never know.

No comments:

Post a Comment