pages

search the rooster

Saturday, May 27, 2017

day two on the road at can-am

What a day. Woke up at 5:00 am. Got out of my tent at 6:00 am. It was non-stop from then until now.

Early morning hike for me, breakfast, flag raising ceremony, activities, lunch, more activities. So, the activities were canoeing (and kayaking), fire building skills, pioneering, and hiking.

Canoeing is pretty straightforward.

The fire building was cool. I got to see some of that. They had spark-lite kits. Basically a sparker and compressed fluff tabs. The various Scouts built fires with various tinder and kindling and the fluff tabs, igniting the fires with the sparkers. Very neat. I will be buying some of those for go-bags and emergency kits. They also tried their hands at lighting a match with a hatchet. Basically, the matches are upright on a board and you try to strike the match with the hatchet to light it. One Scout lit five out of seven matches. That was fantastic.

The pioneering is basically lashing spars together to make a structure. Camp Sheldrick has three telephone poles bolted together to make a huge tripod. So, the various groups lashed spars to the structure making a giant ladder. We took a group picture on it later.

Hiking was my activity to run. We covered the basics for a successful hike and took short hikes. In the end, by supper, I hiked nine-and-a-half kliks. After supper, I was restless. So, I banged off another one-and-a-half kliks, for a total of eleven k today.

After that, we lowered the flags and did the group photos. Then there was a campfire with songs, skits, and cheers. Then a short fireworks display. After that, an American Scouter put on a magic show, did card tricks, and even made balloon animals.

There were even some telescopes put out for stargazing.

Night-time snack followed. Right now a bunch of them are jamming with a guitar or two.

I do not know where they are drawing this energy from, but I keep having to put my phone down while typing this, as my eyes want to keep closing.

I need to turn in as there is another busy morning tomorrow.

Nighty-night rabbits. See you in the morning. blbbl

No comments:

Post a Comment