pages

search the rooster

Sunday, May 21, 2017

running out of gas - literally

Just got back from helping out a friend, a Scouter from my former Group, who ran out a gas. He was about 2 kliks from our exit on the highway. Of course, being the the great guy I am, I went with about 5 litres (a little over a gallon) to get him going. Well, he has a huge tank. It was not enough to get in whatever it is that takes the fuel to the engine. We tried and tried. He thought maybe because he was on an angle on the shoulder of the highway, maybe it was sloshing to the wrong side. We levelled it out, no go. 

After a bit, we jumped in my truck and headed to the closest gas station. In fact, I used to work there. It actually closed early. So, to the next closest gas station. Which worked out well, as we could come up the highway from the right direction and pull up behind his truck. As opposed to me going down the highway and having to turn around the first time.

This time, it worked. I will remember that he needs near on ten litres of fuel to get his beast going. I missed supper with the family, but they understand. When you have to help friends, you help friends.

It reminds of the time I worked for a, not so small, home builder and they let me go for baloney reasons. A short while later, someone, who was a friend, called me and said they ran out of gas in a company truck just outside of town. He tried to contact his supervisor, the guy who canned me, and he would not pick up. It was Friday and the end of the day. I was also going out for the evening with the family as well. If he called not even two minutes later, literally, we would have been gone.

Of course, I went out and brought him gas. You cannot ignore friends. Nor can you ignore people in need. I have stopped many times over the years and picked up people stranded by the side of the road or helped get gas for people who ran out. It is not so hard to run out of gas.

I had a truck with a dent in the fuel tank. (That is how I got it.) And I would refill based on mileage because the fuel gauge did not read below a quarter tank. Well, every now and again, I would miscalculate. One time was on the highway between Hamilton and Ottawa. It was winter and it was miserable. I had a jerry can in the back and grabbed it. By a weird twist of fate I was just behind a cluster of vehicles that had pulled over. One of their cars crapped out. They gave me a ride to the gas station down the road.

Unfortunately, they abandoned the broken down car and did not go back. I had to cross the highway. Two lanes both directions with a huge ditch in the middle. I started hoofing back and sticking out the old thumb. It was about 10 kliks (over 6 miles) down the road back to my truck. No one would pick me up. I made it obvious that I had a jerry can in my hands so people would know I was going back to a vehicle to gas up and get on my way. I was probably about two or three kliks from the truck when someone finally pulled over.

Did I mention that it had started freezing rain while I was walking back? Well, I did. It sucked. I was very appreciative. The guy told me he picked me up because he knew what it was like to hitch. He had tried hitching several years back along the Alaska highway. Not a great idea apparently at that time. It could be a very long time before someone came by and most people would not stop. After that time, he said he always picked up hitchers. As long as they did not look like they might kill him. I am glad I did not look like a mass-murderer that day!

So, across four lanes of traffic and a very big ditch. Dump the gas in the belly of the beast and to the gas station to fill up and home I went. Very, very grateful to a stranger who did not give me his name. I do remember he drove a Saab though.

Well, I like to think I am helpful and I am also very grateful that other people are. Friends and strangers. I do believe in some kind of karma and would like to believe that Alaska highway hitcher was paid back handsomely. Me? Like the Alaska hitcher, I do not look for the payout. I just know what it is like to be stranded and do not wish it on anyone. blbbl

No comments:

Post a Comment