pages

search the rooster

Monday, May 01, 2017

run around day

I had to go in to the city today. I hate going in to the city.

I had a piece of moulding around the windscreen of the truck vanish for some unknown reason. The shop that did the original work when the windscreen was replaced was awesome. No one knows why it is gone, but they did replace it no problem, no charge.

However, getting there was something else. I truly dread going in to the city. Ottawa drivers really blow. They are some of the worst drivers I have ever encountered anywhere on the planet. Save maybe Taiwan.

So, it was raining buckets this morning and everyone was jockeying for position trying get ahead of everyone else. I just pretty much stayed in the "slow" lane and only moved over for stopped vehicles, merging vehicles, or the truly bonehead who were driving so slow they should have their licenses revoked. I hate going in to the city.

One joker was driving on the narrow shoulder with their hazards flashing. I have seen this many times in and around Ottawa. People are afraid of driving in heavy rain around here, yet they get on the road anyway and turn themselves in to an unpredictable and moving hazard on the road. Seriously, if it intimidates you that much, take the bus, car pool, stay home. Anything, except get behind the wheel. I hate going in to the city.

Anyway, I made it without incident to the garage. However, there was a kerfuffle in front of the shop. Some guy in a very high-end Mercedes was blocking half the lot. Apparently his car died mysteriously. So, I was lined up behind someone and another car was behind me. I hate going in to the city.

We were all apparently waiting patiently for an opportunity to pull in. The first car got a slot and pulled in. I still had to wait. Then. The the jughead behind starts honking and flashing and sticks their head out the window and is waving and yelling at me. Like what do you want me to do lady? My vertical rocket boosters are not working on the truck right now and there is nowhere to go. We are in a weird side lane that is actually out of traffic so we are safe. She keeps going on. I hate going in to the city.

Normally, at this point I would either flip the bird or just give a wave depending on my mood. Instead, I see the garage next door has a spot. It is poor cricket to pull in to the competitor's lot and take a spot from them, but I want to keep my cool and it did not look like they were even open yet.

I park. I start to walk over to my shop. I shake my head scornfully at this ass-clown. And yes, she is still sitting in the road and not moving. I almost wagged my finger, but figured they were too ignorant to get their own dumbass behaviour. I tell the shop owner I am parked next door. They directly retrieve my truck and get to work. Honky-dumbass has now departed and is nowhere to be seen. Okay? All that freaking out on her part and it appears she was not at the correct location. I hate going in to the city.

An hour later I am on my way. I get on the road to keep the lot clear and pull over around the corner out of traffic to determine my next move. It is still rush hour, but I really do not want to just sit and have a coffee to wait it out. No problem. I am going mostly in the opposite flow of rush-hour traffic. I head down a long and lazy road to head towards Bakker's General Store in Manotick Station.

Ostensibly, to get the wife their awesome smoke Gouda and Rycki Edam cheeses, but really to get some more Zam-Buk lip balm and other sundry items for my self too. Funny. I mini-panicked when I could not locate the lip balm. (Not really, but sort of.) The owner moved the tubes, but the owner also told me that someone bought up all the tins. I have a Zam-Buk rival in the valley somewhere apparently. I bought some tubes.

Now, one thing I tend to do when I buy a lot of something. I try not to clear the shelf. I normally leave at least one for the next guy. If I am buying a whole, case/carton/box type quantity and that is all that is left, unopened, then it is every hoarder for themselves. And to be fair, I did clear the shelf of one item. There were only four left and I know the owner replenishes it weekly from a local supplier. So, maybe I am a hypocrite. At the end of the day, everybody can be proved a hypocrite, so I will leave it there.

Nice, quiet drive home. Hike in the rain. The boy's lunch is prepped and in the fridge. Supper is ready to go. I have completed my homework for a canoe course. I have been relieved of an administrative duty this evening. I am mellow. I am relaxed. I am in a happy place. 

But. 

I. Hate. Going. In. To. The. City.

No comments:

Post a Comment