pages

search the rooster

Tuesday, May 02, 2017

tipping

Yesterday, during my run around day, I forgot to mention that I had to make a detour on the way home to the gas station in Osgoode. My fuel light came on and it was the closest place to fill up without really going out of my way. I just did not want to run around later when I would need to go somewhere and have no choice but to fill up first.

I did not realise it was a full serve gas station though. I paid with my "magic pizza card". (A slang term invented by a friend in Hamilton for credit cards. It was coined late at night during a hunger attack.) I did not have any loonies or toonies or change at all. I felt bad that I could not leave a tip. (No. No option that I saw at the point of sale machine.)

I always tip pump jockeys. At least a buck, but usually two. It is generally a crappy job with crappy pay. They have to come out in the worst weather to fill up for people that often have no consideration for others. They get filthy, are asked to do many little tasks, and often without a thank-you.

Normally, one should tip at least a buck for a fill-up, another buck or two for a washer fluid top up, same a gain for oil check and/or top-up. Air in tires, rinse repeat. Clean windshield, yes please. Full serve in most gas stations in Canada no longer means more than just pumping the gas. Often these guys and gals are working solo are doing more than one task at a time other than just filling up multiple vehicles at the same time with drivers who are often in a hurry.

You know how much it sucks to come out in thirty below weather or a raging downpour just to pump five bucks. Well, it sucks, a lot!

It got me thinking about tipping in general as well.

When I was a younger lad, full of vim and vigour, and I would haunt various licenced establishments, I was a pretty generous tipper. A buck or two for the first drink. Then I would round down to loose change under a dollar. That may seem cheap, but think about it, for what I was paying back then, it would usually work out to a twenty-five percent tip for each drink after the first. If service was good that evening, I would close with five bucks. That is easy money schlepping drinks. If service sucked? I would pull my loose change early on and then leave no more than a buck or two at the end. 

Tipping is for service, not just for being there.

Now with plastic as the norm, when I do go out anywhere for cocktails, I will usually leave about 20%, if there is actual quality service. At restaurants, normally 20% or more.

I do not know. Is that cheap? I am a cheapskate, but I think I reward service pretty decently.

When it comes to cabbies. I am usually not a spendthrift. However, that is usually more because, I find, in my experience, they are trying to take me for a ride more often than not. Or, they are such horrible and dangerous drivers, I cannot reward them. If they are a good driver who treats me right though, I am like Rumpelstiltskin: spinning gold.

Appliance guys. Those guys always go above and beyond for me. They will remove whatever appliance I am replacing and put the new one where it needs to go. No problems. Ten bucks a head. If the guy is alone, which does happen, twenty bones.

Couriers. Generally, nothing. Why? Well, if I am not home to receive the parcel, hard to do. Otherwise, often they lie about previous visits and the parcels are damaged way more than shipping would cause. I am sure there are some very diligent and forthright couriers. I have not met them though. No offence.

Anyway, I think I am a pretty decent tipper, usually. Especially for a cheapskate.

I feel bad for not being able to tip that guy yesterday. Well, if I am there again any time soon and he is there I will make it up to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment