pages

search the rooster

Friday, June 09, 2017

being a good samaritan

So, tonight after dinner, the wife and I were having a Friday evening cocktail. Then we heard a really strange noise. Noises actually. A really odd metallic sound and a loud funny pop. The wife said it sounded like someone blew a tire. I agreed, but the metallic noise?

Anyway, we thought that was the end of that. Then we heard a grindy whumping noise. Oh yeah, serious tire blowout. Then it came around the corner. We rushed to the front door to check it out. Sure enough, there was a minivan and the driver was unloading the back to get to his spare and jack.

I walked over and asked if, other than the blowout, everything was alright. Yeah, yeah. Do you need anything. No, all good; have a tire, jack, all good. Okay. I told him and his buddy if they needed anything I was at home and pointed to the house.

The driver's friend thanked me for offering to help and said there were not many people that would do that. I told him that I would hope if it happened to me that someone would help me. It is the right thing to do. Still, thanks for offering. No problem.

When stuff like that happens, I think about times I needed help or others asking for help. It sucks when no one will offer any assistance. I always try to. 

So, about ten minutes later, there is a knock at the door. Do I have a four-way tire iron? Yup, give me a sec. I dig it out of the back of the truck and give it to him. One of the best gifts I ever got. From the mother-in-law actually. It has helped many a person with their lugnuts. Yet, I have never used it for my own vehicles. Still, I am so glad to have it.

Ten minutes after that, another knock. Do I have a jack, mine's not working right? Yup, just have to get it out of the truck. Took a few minutes to figure out how to get it out. I have not used it on this truck yet. I usually use my compressor and go to a garage when I have a spike in my tire.

At this point, I went over with a flashlight. I realised he was working on the street side just around the corner of a busy road. This corner is odd too. It is not perpendicular, so it has a blind spot in it when you turn. I held out the flashlight so he could see better and other vehicles could see him, and me.

Shortly thereafter, he was done. He returned my tools and he and his buddy thanked me again. No problem, just glad I could help get you on your way.

Honestly, if the wife and I were not home and offered to help, I do not know what they would have done. I know I would be hard pressed to knock on someone's door. Plus, a lot of people do not like to step out of their comfort zone with strangers. Now, our neighbours are great, and kind, and generous people, but still. Our street and the houses around are pretty dark. The only time the street is really lit up is in December and the beginning of January with Christmas lights and such.

Sure, they could call a buddy, but how long would that take. Plus it is Friday night. Not many people want to kick off their weekend hauling out to the middle of nowhere to help someone change a tire.

Well, again, I know what it is like to be in need of assistance and how grateful I am when I do get it. So, why would I not help someone I do not know and will probably never see again? I just cannot refuse. It is the right thing to do to help someone in need. It is how I was raised. It is what I believe is the correct thing to do. It is what the wife and I have imparted on the boy.

Plus the karmic return is a nice bonus. blbbl



No comments:

Post a Comment