pages

search the rooster

Thursday, June 01, 2017

more (reverse) magic and wildlife

Jumpin'! I almost forgot to post. Looked at my watch, 11:20 pm. So, quick and dirty.

More reverse, backwards magic today.

I got out this morning to cut the grass before my hike. The wife said the forecast was for rain by midday. So, I figured if I went out to finish the lawn, the clouds would roll in and it would rain. I should be able to finish cutting then hike in the rain with the new jacket to continue field testing it.

No rain while cutting. Clouds did roll in, but I knew they were the wrong ones. No rain. The trail was pretty muddy in parts from yesterday's downpour during my cutting. Sure. Fine. But I did not need to test my boots. I know how good they are.

There were a few spits here and there, but nothing more. Now, it has started raining. Not in the mood for a midnight hike.

See, you cannot trifle with the weather gods. They knew what I was up to. I think they are in league with the gnomes that mess with my stuff.

On a lighter note, I do not think goats are in order. Not just because they will steal my truck and smash in to something. Really why? Well, took the boy to archery and then the Mexican restaurant. Denis, my friend and sometime hiking buddy, has his the boy in the same archery training so they joined us. When we got out of the restaurant, his truck was wet from rain, but mine was not. See, these guys are making a point. Mess with the bull and you get the horns.

Anyway, that has nothing to do with goats. Why I am putting the goats on hold, other than grand theft auto and public mischief, is that on the drive home, when the boy and I were approaching the north-south main road to town, just before the turn we saw a bear. Probably two or three years old. 

At first I thought is was a really big dog. On Monday, coming back from my hike, I was driving on the main east-west road back to town and what I thought at first was a bear, approached the road, looked both ways, and when he saw me he waited for me to pass before he crossed. I mean, he was really, really big. Like a small bear. He was very burly. It must have been a dog as I have never seen a bear with that kind of brown colouring, except grizzlies, but not up close. It was a bit of a spooky encounter.

This guy today, he was very dark brown, but I guess he would be labelled a black bear. It was definitely a bear and we were maybe twenty feet from him. He too looked both ways, but when he saw us, he did not wait for us to pass. He trotted across the road and hit the bushes and trees. Then he vanished completely out of sight. He was obviously coming from the houses at the top of the road. Probably checking out the green organic waste recycle bins for snacks.

So, I found a discussion online as to whether a black bear would eat goats. Not so worried about that. I figure if the bear made it to town (less than 8 km), found the goats in my yard, he would probably cut a deal to go to a fast food drive-through to get some grub before they smashed my truck in to something just for kicks. You see, it would be easier for the bear to steer and reach the pedals too.

I figure the gods of "this is so weird, you cannot make up a story like this" are in the same union as the weather gods and you know they talk and trade favours. That would be my luck.

Oh yeah, and just down the road, there was a really lazy turkey hen, or possibly a jenny, all on her own crossing the road. She all but got smeared on the road from both directions. I guess spring is in the air. And you know what, it smells funky.

Well, hoping for rain tomorrow and no bears, or burly bear-dogs, or lazy turkeys, or truck thieving goats. Wish me luck. blbbl

No comments:

Post a Comment