pages

search the rooster

Saturday, June 17, 2017

on the road - ferguson forest kemptville

This weekend is the 80th Anniversary Camp for the North Grenville Scout Group.

We arrived last night and had a pretty casual evening. The various Wolf Cub Scouts, Scouts, and Venture Scouts did their own thing and this morning they went canoeing.

Then more Cubs and Scouts arrived today along with Beaver Scouts. There were also various Girl Guides as well.

In the afternoon, there was more canoeing. There were also other sessions: map & compass and hiking. I led two hiking sessions. Great fun. We saw a doe on the first one. She stayed put for a few minutes so everyone got to see her. One interesting item is that she had an unusually long tail. I got a picture too. If it is any good, I will drop it in tomorrow from home.

I was also entertaining in that when we cleared the wooded portion of the trail, my back was covered by hundreds of mosquitoes. Both times. Of course, I forgot to get a picture of it. Luckily, my two shirt system kept them from biting my back to shreds.

After those sessions, there was a round robin of  bottle rockets, a rope bridge, solar cooker building, and a whole slew of crafts.

We even had an awesome barbecue supper and ice cream for dessert.

We closed the evening with a campfire. Lots of songs and skits. The wife would have loved it if she could have come. The Guides sung a bunch of songs she knows from her days at camp.

We then said thanks and good night to the Guides and Beavers who were not staying overnight tonight and some of the Cubs.

What Cubs, Scouts, Venturers, and Scouters that have remained have all tucked themselves in. We have an early start with a few things to do and our teardown.

I should do the same. I have to get at least 4k on the trail before breakfast. Nighty-night. blbbl

No comments:

Post a Comment