pages

search the rooster

Monday, June 19, 2017

i have to be different

Well, not so much different. I more often do not want to be in the mainstream.

As far back as I can remember, it was always subtle little things I did to differentiate myself from others.

Everyone would get Coke or Pepsi at a movie or a fast food joint and I would get Sprite or 7up or more often Ginger Ale. Other way around, Dr. Pepper or iced tea.

Most everyone wears their watch on their left wrist. Me? On the right since I was a wee lad when I saw a British soldier in a movie wearing it on their right wrist.

My belt loops around me from the left through to the right side. I rarely see anyone wear their belt like that.

I wear my phone on the left hip. Yeah, I know, most people keep their phone in a pocket now. So, I am doubly different. In a pouch on the left hip. I also keep my Leatherman, and flashlight on the the left. Most people keep such doodads on their right side. The exception often is left handed people, but I myself am not normally left-handed.

My footwear lacing is opposite to most others too. That was actually a conscious and deliberate action. It has reached a point that it drives me nuts when I get new footwear and it is laced status quo. One of the first things I do, other than putting my new footwear through my care regimen, is re-lacing them.

Fries? I had to prove a point with my brother and ate an order of fries (large, when large was large) with mustard. If I can get barbecue sauce or steak sauce at a fry stand, I now will take that with my fries.

Of course I had the ubiquitous leather biker's jacket as a young man. But no, not in black. I was in Boston and walked in to Oona's at Harvard Square. That is where I found it, a brown motorcycle jacket. It was not "natural" brown, or acid washed, or new. It was made around the time I was born when leather was leather and it was made by Lesco Leathers and dyed a rich brown. I had to get it, and I did. I still have it.


rebel without a clue

My denim jacket? A khaki-tan, not blue, not black. However, I am not crazy. It is not corduroy. That is just weird. blbbl


No comments:

Post a Comment