pages

search the rooster

Monday, June 12, 2017

i stubbed my toe crossing dimensions

Either that, or I did it moving through a portal between universes.

You see, my toe did suddenly start hurting, as I f I did stub it badly.

No explanation. No reason. It just suddenly hurt.

I have also noticed a couple of oddities, nothing major, just small things not quite right.

Then the wife comes home and asks what is for dinner. I remind her dumplings in curry sauce. I get a bit of a blank stare, then the "oh yeah" look.

She then proceeds to ask me if I can make it like I did last time. Okay? How did I make it because it was a while ago and I cannot remember which incantation of flavouring and seasoning I used.

She then tells me it was a couple of weeks ago and I caramelised the onions first and then added ham and then sauced it up. It had a sweet profile. Okay then.

Really? Yes. A couple of weeks ago? Yes. Okay.

It is at this point I realise that I have crossed over from one realm in to another. Be it universes, dimensions, planet-based cloning. I am not sure.

I am apparently identical except for one thing that I know is different. I do not caramelise onions. At least not in the strict definition. I am a guerrilla gourmet in the kitchen. Recipes to me are suggestions. I rarely follow them with exactitude. Except maybe the very first time and maybe if I am a novice to that particular combination of ingredients or it is a new method of preparation. I also often mash recipes together to make a better one. My stew recipe uses no less than four suggestions to make it as sublime as it is.

Anyway, as I said, I do not caramelise. The first time I do, may be when I make French onion soup. I have never made it before and I have recently discovered I love it.

Also, we did not have any kind of dumplings a couple of weeks ago. A couple of months, sure. Also, I do not think I have ever heard the wife use the term "caramelise" in regards to anything.

So, back to this dumplings with caramelised onions and curried ham. I figured out what this dimension's the wife wanted and I do it. Please note, I have used ham in curry dishes before, believe it or not it is quite tasty, and I just did a fantastic ham roast on the weekend and there were leftovers.

I taste it a couple of times. To me, it fits her desired flavour profile. I ask her to try it. It is very good. Really? Thank-you. Is it what you were looking for? It is really quite good. Thanks again. Is it what you were looking for? No, but it really is delicious. Okay, thanks.

So, now I know I am in another version of my existence. The me here caramelises, the wife here likes caramelised onions (my the wife can take or leave onions regardless of method of preparation). The wife here also handles me better than my dimension's the wife. Not by much, but enough for me to notice. Almost identical, but not quite.

Besides, how else did I stub my toe without noticing? blbbl

No comments:

Post a Comment